How to get started on cloth diapers

I hear so often about how much cheaper it is to cloth diaper. I don't doubt that one can save some cash that way in the long run, but they are so expensive to get into! I'm curious about how others did it without spending a ton of money. At the momemt my husband and I are not so financially well. We also don't have family to help us collect the cloth diapers. Also, how many diapers are needed to not have to rely on disposable ones?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 7:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow I wouldn't even knowwhere to start it seems to difficult
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• There are lots of websites with "package deals" and I even saw one with a "rental" type of thing that let you try a number of styles and return them - but I don't remember the name of the site...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'd start with prefolds and a few covers. How old is your baby? You can slowly buy more/different kinds of diapers... one every 2-3 weeks or whatever works for you (comparable to buying a pack of diapers). If baby is older and on solids, I'd try maybe a dozen prefolds and 2-3 covers and wash every other day. After that, buy 2 good nighttime diapers and then keep building your stash. 2 dozen total is typically a good number to have.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Okay, here's the site...

http://www.diaperdaisy.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=374

It's $140 to rent, but after two weeks when you return them they will refund all but $20. This way you can try a number of brands and styles without having to spend hundreds and hundreds just to find which ones you like and which you don't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Oh, I'm expecting number 2 so I'm trying to start on a stash before she is born sometime in January. Also, what are these "liners" I hear about and "stripping" the diapers when you buy them used?
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Also, do you have to buy different sizes as the baby gets bigger, or are most one size fits all?
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Oh, then you've got plenty of time! Just start buying a few here and a few there. I would still get some NB prefolds and covers because NB's go though lots!

Liners are for when baby is older and on solids (maybe also when they are on formula? I don;t know for sure) so you can dump the poop easily in the toilet. They aren't required, they're more for convenience. Stripping will get everything out of the diapers before you use them... so, any detergent residue, or if the previous user had any yest lurking about. Most people strip their whole stash once a month or so. Detergent will build up on the fibers and either cause a reaction when baby pees, or cause the diapers to be less absorbent.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You can get either kind. Very few will fit from birth and continue to fit through PLing... most OS are geared for 10+lbers, We're just now outgrowing the OS I made that fit as a NB and my son is 18 months.

Some people prefer sized, some prefer OS... some like having a mix. It's all preference.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• They have lots of one size cloth diapers at this site: cottonbabies.com

I use the bum genius, which are the most expensive option. I also have some of the Flip diapers and those are much less and really good. They also have a package on this site for under $100 birth to potty training. Good customer service, good info and free shipping.

I use the bum genius detergent and follow the washing instructions and I have never had to strip my diapers.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• So if I decide to use the prefolds, how many covers would I need?
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010