has anyone had a baby with seizures and brain damage? adult content

my son was born premature and he was doing well but 2 days after birth he developed a blood infection. doctors caught it late so it went up to his brain and he developed a brain infection.. he was in the intensive care unit for 2 months on antibiotics :(..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do. My oldest son is 18 and was born full term but was stuck in the birth canal and 12 hours after birth a nurse noticed he was blue and was having seizures since he was born. he was in the NICU and put on seizure meds immediately. He was 10lbs at birth so he was definietly the biggest baby in the NICU they have had in years. If the nurse hadn't of walked in to check on us he would have died. He was on seizure meds for the first two years of his life and then taken off because they thought he should be fine. Well, he was continuing to have seizures. The damage it has done is minimal compared to so many who have suffered worse but he wassn't on meds for years but I wouldn't give up until I found a specialist to finally help and put him back on some meds. He has lost alot of his cognitive and thinking skills that most kids have at his age but he is doing well but he has missed a normal childhood and is not able to do so much.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Look into Dravet Syndrome. My cousin's daughter struggled with seizures for years before they could pinpoint a diagnosis. Since at least getting that far, she still struggles but is on helpful medication and doing much better.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010