just the cough....

my 9 month old son just developed a cough out of no where yesterday. we went out shopping on thursday it was cool and a little windy but he was dressed warm and covered from the wind when we were outside. well yesterday morning (sat) he woke up with a terrible wet sounding cough. other than the cough he has absolutely no symptoms he isnt cranky, tired, stuffed up, no fever, no runny nose. im at a loss as to what to do? he has never even been sick..he is eating well and sleeping well.. its just the cough..
my questions are:
what could it be? cold? allergies? should i call his pedi ? (of course he waits till the weekend to get sick.) is there anything i can give him? should i even give him anything?
im am terrified that it will turn into something like pnemonia. and his pedi is 1 1/2 hours away.. HELP please

jaxonsmmy

Asked by jaxonsmmy at 1:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just a cought without ANY other symptoms is nothing to be concerned about. If his nose gets stuffy or runs or he gets a fever, then call his Pedi for sure. It sounds like post nasal drip cough to me. He may be developing allergies with the onset of fall, or he could be coming down with a cold. But just the cough without other serious symptoms is nothing to worry about.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• there isn't much that can be done for a cough. Over the counter meds are not normally recommended by peds. You can elevate his bed (roll a sheet or blanket under one end of the matrices) and run a humidifier that might help.
    mylilredheadboy

Answer by mylilredheadboy at 2:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• the same thing is going on w/ my 5 mth. old. her ped. said they can't give children under 2yrs. old anything for a cough. however,he did say to use saline drops in her nose and then suction it with a bulb syringe and use a cool mist humidifier. it lasted for a little over 2 weeks. she's almost over it now. i think it has to do with the season changing!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 10:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If he sounds like he has snot in his chest, you can give him saline drops up his nose to help it move on down his throat. Other than that, a humidifier or sitting with him in the bathroom with the shower turned on.. It's really not serious enough to call the pedi. There's really nothing they can do for him unless it's serious. They just kind of have to ride it out at that age. My pedi suggests zyrtec for any cough, runny nose anything that my son has. But it's not approved for children under 2. So I would try at home remedies first.
    iluvpink0701

Answer by iluvpink0701 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2008