There are hundreds of pit bull killing new stories all over the place! How is this breed "misunderstood" Do you think pit bull owners tend to rationalize the breed? Is it responsible to own a pit bull when you have kids?

If all dogs are dangerous why are there more pit bull attacks rather than attacks by other breeds documented. I just read article after article of pit bulls not just biting, mauling, and killing children. Why would you even chance it? To defend an animal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Some breeds were gentetically bred for guard/attack/defense purposes. It will always be a part to some degree of the genetic makeup of the animal. For most dogs I would say their demeanor is in direct relation to the kind of people who are raising them. I don't feel that way about pit bulls. We have known two totally different, wonderful families over the years whose pit bulls just flipped out and mauled people. In one case killing their 4 year old. The only other breeds I've ever had personal knowledge of that happening is Akitas and Doberman Pincher. I could never put my family or someones elses at risk with as much evidence in play as there is.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I love my pit bull, when I was younger you were supposed to be scared of German Shepherds and I understood because I was attacked by one when I was 8 but I still didn't try to "kill the breed". My last pit bull was attached at the hip to my daughter from the time she was born and died sleeping outside her crib. He was the master binky chaser and she loved when he licked her feet and shrieked and laughed so hard it filled my heart with joy. My new pit bull is pretty much the same. She calls him with her everywhere and I would never be afraid of him around her. I grew up with two pit bulls across the street from me, one of whom was raised lovingly and was so sweet, the other of whom was abused and was a bit scary because she didn't like anyone approaching her but she still took out a copperhead for me one day when I was playing in the yard. I might just owe he my life.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 8:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i don't feel its misunderstood. I'd never risk having one.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I saw the neigbor kid get attacked by his own pit bull for no reason when I was 13. Totally un provoked. Nice or not, I'm not willing to take the chance.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• IT DONT MATTER THE BREED OF THE DOG ALL DOGS CAN SNAP FOR NO REASON ITS THE CHANCE YOU TAKE WHEN U HAVE A DOG.....I HAPPEN TO HAVE A PIT AND HE IS A GOOD DOG.....IM TIRED OF PEOPLE BASHING DOGS.....AND THE SAD THING IS NOW SOME RENTAL PLACES WILL TAKE DOGS JUST NOT PITS......THATS WRONG!
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 8:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• GrnEyedGrandma, that's what happened to the neighbor boy! They had the dog since before he was even born. The dog went trail riding with us, always friendly, nice dog, just snapped one day. Ran 40 yards across the property and attacked him. He tried to climb the fence and the dog jumped up and pulled him down. It was horrible. They took the dog out back and shot it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes it does matter the breed of the dog. Pits are bred for fighting, so are Akitas, Rots are guard dogs, they are all more prone to attacking. Wow, do some research before you start yelling in all caps. And I'm glad rentals don't allow aggressive dogs. It should be that way. Did you forget about the woman who was mauled to death in an apartment hallway bringing home her groceries?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Pits and pit mixes are not all selected for fighting....but people still are selecting pups that show early signs of agression and breeding them together...and again selecting for agression, training to be triggered ......I can't trust the breed because of what humans have done.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree surfcity. Totally. I understand not all pits will snap. I'm just saying why chance it around kids? I don't get that. The writing is on the wall, killing after killing, mauling, and so on yet they are a good choice for a family with small kids?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• blah blah blah, I have heard the nanny dog over and over again. Bottom line, it's not the 1950's and the dogs are bred for fighting.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010