Thinking about switching to cloth diapers for sleeping - advice?

My girl just turned 3. She's day-time potty trained, but wears diapers still for sleeping.

I was thinking cloth diapers might make a good transition for night training (still keeping her bed clean, but letting her feel the wet a little more).

Unfortunately, I'm clueless about cloth diapers. Help!!! First of all, can they handle the whole nights worth of soaking?

Any brand & sizing recommendations? (She's 33 lbs) What about care for them?

Thanks

mogencreative

Asked by mogencreative at 8:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At her age you'd might as well go with training pants. Cloth and disposables do feel very different, so switching from whichever a child is used to to the other can spur potty learning a bit. It may also help to say that trainers are special undies and while accidents happen and are okay she should *try* not to go in them.

If you'd like you can sew your own cheaper than you could buy them. My favorite training pants pattern is Tinkle Time from Ladder Hill Designs; you can also buy them pre-made. The best (free) diaper pattern for a bigger child that I've found is OnederSnap OS. I know nothing about pre-made diapers; I've always made my own.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like links.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 8:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Did you try and google it? Theres some groups on here that maybe able to help.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Cloth diapers can be an investment b/c some are cheap and some are not. And you also have to try and figure out what kind you would like best too which can cost more. Since she's already mostly potty trained it might not be something you'd want to put money into but then again cloth diapers hold their value more too so you can see used ones for pretty good money as well. Check your local craigslist to see if you can find any used ones. Here is a site that has some cloth diaper info on it: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/newmom.htm

Maybe you can just put her in panties for bedtime (even the thick training ones) and put a lap pad underneath her or her sheet so that if she does pee it doesn't get on the mattress. she would definitely feel being wet though.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't put the money out....too bulky, too wet.....better to help with the transition that all kids will do. Limit drinks past a certain time, practice peeing before bed, make it easy to get up and use the potty with an easy light and easy clothes.

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It might be a good idea to check during the night and ask her if she want to go to the bathroom. This would take an extra effort on your part it in a long run will be worth it. GL
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Gerber makes some great training pants that have extra absorbency in the middle. They won't hold a whole night's worth of pee, so she'll know she's wet. Plus, they're cute.

I always got them at Target.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010