Waking your Newborn to Eat?

I just wondered if any of you wake your baby during the night to feed them? I was 17 when I had my baby and I lived at home, my S/O was in the Marines. Anyway, my MIL told me to be sure and wake the baby to feed him. My Mother caught me waking him one night and asked me why. I explained and she said I didn't need to wake a sleeping baby to eat, he'd wake me. I didn't take much information from my MIL, I usually tried to use my own instincts, or ask my own Mother after that, but at 17, your pretty much lacking in the knowledge of a newborn. How about you new Mommy's?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is adopted and when I picked him up from his foster mom's when he was a week old she gave me a piece of advice. "I have had 75 infants come through here and if you want them to sleepp through the night by 12 weeks wake them up EVERY 2-3 hours until YOU go to bed to feed."She NEVER suggested you wake them during the night when you are sleeping just during the day until you go to sleep yourself. It worked like a charm...sleeping through the night @ 10 weeks!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I never woke my sons to feed them, but it was the standard advice at one time. I remember my MIL asking if I would when they were born. I never did.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If hes sleeping..I am not waking him. The reason people are told this is to establish their milk supply in the begining. Thats why they tell you this in the hospital. But a Lactation Consultant will tell you let them sleep...

My son is 13 days old..He wakes me at every 2-3 1/2 hours during the night to feed. My older son was formula fed and would sleep 5-7 hours a night without waking...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I never woke my son to feed him..he did pretty well on his own waking every couple of hours right after he was born.
    Soteria79

Answer by Soteria79 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• ibreast fed both of my kids.. when i woke up hurting from being so full, yes i would wake them up. if i were fine and they werent waking up on their own. Nope.. Dont see the point. When a baby gets hungry they will let u know. iF u feed the baby every hour and they just happen to sleep past one of the hours why worry they will wake up and eat more then usual
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• At first I didn't but she lost weight so then I had to wake her every 4 hrs. although at a month old she would sleep through the night if I'd let her.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Let them sleep till they wake up then feed them.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• my sister has to wake her newborn son up to feed him. he likes to sleep for hours without food. my son always woke up every two hours to be fed.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't wake my son up. He will wake up and let me know when he is hungry :)
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 10:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I never woke my kids to eat at night....From the time they were a couple months old they were sleeping at least 6 hours a night. My daughter would eat around 11 and not want anything until 5-6 in the morning. formula also keeps them fed a little longer then if you breastfeed
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010