Anyone ever heard of babies that don't adjust well to daycare?

My baby just cries and cries at daycare, so we had to find an alternative. Just wondered if anyone else has ever been through this or known other people who have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes. Some kids do not adjust well to being away from Mom or Dad and will cry. Sometimes it takes weeks for them to get the idea that the routine is not going to change before they will stop crying when dropped off at the sitters. Given enough time most kids will accept the change to the routine and stop. But there is always the odd man out that is just stubborn and refuses to give up the fight to get thir own way back.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Not to freak you out, but my baby did that at 1 year old. I thought she was just having a difficult time adjusting, then I found out by one of the other teachers that worked there that her teacher was known to spank her babies. Talise had come home before I found that out with a big bruise on her face that the teacher could not explain. I pulled her out of the center and reported it to the proper authorities and the director of the center said that she was aware that her teacher does spank and has written her up once before for it. Now that teacher is no longer able to work with children. Basically I think you did the right thing, I think the cry like that for a reason.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 2:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i use to work at a daycare and there were some kids who didnt take to daycare. they would cry all the time and nothing would help. one even refused to eat! the mother actually had to come and sit with him during her lunch break so he would eat and be ok.... dont worry you are Not the only one to go through this... did you try another daycare?
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Actually, we pulled him out of daycare to let family take care of him. He is happier and it seems better all the way around.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever just not liked a certain person or not liked being in a certain place? Babies are like that. I was a daycare provider for 12 years and there were just some children who could not get used to me, my house, the people in my house or whatever. If your child is unhappy in his current daycare situation you need to find another and another and another until you find someplace he seems happy with. Give it time. Don't give up after the first day or even the first week. As long as you feel he is safe give him time to adjust. Be sure that you don't give off the feeling that you hate leaving him there. Even at a very young age children will pick up on your negativity or apprehension.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Sure...there's nothin' wrong with your little one if he or she can't acclimate to day care. Best wishes to y'all in finding somethin' else that might work better...
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My daughter started going to a sitter where there were about 3 or 4 more littles one about her age there and because she had been home with me up until she was about 9 months she would cry so hard it would break my heart. I just started taking her 2 or 3 hours a day to get her used to going and being there and now it has been 3 months and she doesn't cry anymore and when it is time to go home she sometimes doesn't want to go she is enjoying her little friends. It is so cute to see her interacting with the other littles one. Your baby will adjust. I didn't think my daughter would and she really surprised me.
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 11:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2008