Has dealt with a child that had tapeworm? adult content

My friend thinks her 4 YO son has a tap worm. She looked at his stool and saw white specs, he has also been complaining of stomach cramps. She is going to take him to the Dr. How does a child get tape worms? She does not have any animals. So she is at a loss as to where he might have came in contact with them. How do Dr's diagnose tape worms and how do they get rid of them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tape worms come out in small peices that resemble grains of rice. They are actually very long. If the child was playing outside and came into contact in anyway with soil that had once touched feces that carried the eggs that's all it takes. You don't have to have a pet to get it. You never know, even if feces are removed from the area the eggs could still be present. It's very easy to treat. There are pills that kill it and it passses through your system.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Its easy to treat, You can pick it up pretty much anywhere that has them.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I suspect it is pin worms, although it could be tapeworms. Pin worms happen a lot to children who put their hands in their mouths when playing outside.

Answer by Bmat at 8:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i had a tape worm when i was a child. i got it from a stray dog. i didn't know any better because i was young. my mom wasn't paying attention when i was playing with the stray dog. she took me to the doctors. they gave me medicine and it went away.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have heard more kids get pin worms from putting their hands in their mouth while playing outside. But Tape worms are usually from feces from an animal. Maybe your friends child was in a public/school sandbox & a stray cat poo'ed in it. Even upon removing it if the eggs are there it still can be contracted. As far as I know the doc will look at a sample & have to give medicine.
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 8:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Tapeworms are relatively rare in humans. Fleas bite the infected animal, and the human would have to eat the flea to get a tapeworm.

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-worms.htm

Answer by Bmat at 4:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010