Why dont people like to host parties?

I sell Avon and Tupperware and it seems noone wants to ever have a party, im not making any money because of this. What stops you from saying yes?

anh2231

Asked by anh2231 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• I don't have the money to do anything like this. Doesn't the Hostess have to buy some of the product - plus party supplies, food and drink. The time and effort & if no one else shows then you just wasted all that money & time.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 2:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I used to have parties all the time. Since the economy took a turn for the worst, I feel bad inviting people to a party when I know they probably don't have the extra money to purchase anything. Honestly, Tupperware is pretty expensive compared to what you can buy in the store.
    Nanlyn33

Answer by Nanlyn33 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• a few things
    1. I don't want to buy any of that stuff
    2. I don't want to impose that obligation on my friends
    3. times are tough and luxuries go first
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I so agree with teri4lance!
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Exactly what teri4lance said
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My honest opinion? There is an Avon rep on every corner, and you can go to walmart and get makeup and cologne. I really can't get excited about a bowl or a platter, and I can get those at walmart too. You can succeed, don't get me wrong, but you have to put a huge incentive out there for people to buy from you. I KNOW for a fact that if I aksed 100 people I know to come to a tupperware party, 3 would show up. One would purchase. Maybe two. Now, I do something a bit different, I have people that I don't know calling ME to book parties. You can't get what I have at walmart, and I am the only consultant in a 100 mile radius! Come see. www.slumberpartiesbypolly.com

THAT is something for people to get excited about lol

romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 3:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Times are tough right now, unfortunately. Not only do I not know enough people where I live right now.. but I could not afford to make food to serve at the party... I used to do parties, Christmas Around the World, Beauty Control, etc.. etc...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I don't have any parties even though I used to sell Creative Memories. My husband and I took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University in January, and we have been on a budget ever since. We do it every two weeks and then dump every penny leftover onto our debt snowball (Baby Step Two). We have our emergency fund in place already of course (Baby Step One). That being said, we don't spend any money that we don't absolutely have to spend. And if I need makeup or storage containers, I can find 'em much cheaper. Also, I don't want to obligate any of my friends to spend anything. I know that they're not olbigated, but they feel obligated. And I hadn't even though about providin' drinks and munchies...gas goin' around getting everything...postage for invitations...time (costs money).
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Those markets are saturated, and today noone is spending money on things they just don't need or can do with out. Survival & health is #1 on the charts. Since you like to work MLMs, why not consider another home business that does bring in money and help people with their health. I am talking about businesses in the wellness industries. Paul Zane Pilzer says that over the next 10 years, the US economy will create 10 million NEW millionaires, the growth will occur in the wellness & network marketing industries. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• To me they are not parties. They are a gathering of all your friends and co-workers into an uneasy atmosphere of having an obligation to buy.

If I want to purchase cosmetics and plastic ware, I would rather buy it when I know I can afford it, not have to feel like I need to purchase it, and for the price point that is comfortable for me.

I also feel corny sitting around a bunch of people that swear that this specific "eyeliner" is the best when I know that over 90% of eyeliner comes out of the same factory.

When I host a party for my friends, I do not want to impose on their wallet. I just want to have a few bottles of wine and good conversation.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2008