Weekly prenatal appointments

Im 38 weeks and I do not know if I am dialating at all. My doctor refuses to check during my weekly appointments and simply says times have changed and we no longer check every week, we wait until you are 39 weeks. At that time they will determine if your going to be ontime or be late. Im going into this blind. So my question is does this happen to a lot of women out there or did I just get the worst doctor ever? Thanks any info will help!!

GreenEyesMomma

Asked by GreenEyesMomma at 8:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• WTF!! My doc started doing a weekly appointment at 30 weeks. I don't know I would make the appoint anyways.
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 8:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• what i was always checked in the last month you need a second opinion! doc are crazy
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 8:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• im 34 weeks and I'm doing apts every 2 weeks and he is going to start checking me at 38 weeks.
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 8:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My doc didn't start until 37 weeks with my second child. A lot of docs are moving away from giving so many internal exams because 1) it limits the amount of bacteria introduced to the vagina, making you less likely to get an infection and 2) dilation doesn't mean anything when it comes to how close to labor you are. You can walk around for weeks dilated to 3 or 4, or you could be fully closed and go into full blown labor and have the baby in a matter of hours. It's just not an accurate way of knowing anything about when labor will start.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 8:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think your doctor is right. Times have changed. There is actually NO real reason to check at the appts, even at 39 weeks. It will NOT give you any indication of when the baby will come. At all. Some women are dilated several centimeters for WEEKS and do not go into labor until "past due" and others don't dilate at all until right when they go in labor. The reason they wait now (or...some doctors do...not most or all) is because it will only serve to drive you crazy. If you are dilated you'd be tempted to think "Wow, I'm at a three...it's going to be soon!" and then if it was three more weeks, you'd just go insane waiting! Plus, any time anything is shoved up there, there is a slight chance of introducing bacteria up there. The only benefit I can see is if you were full term and on the verge of a labor anyway a pelvic exam might (MIGHT!) help start labor, but not always. I know ur antsy, but you're doctor sounds fine. GL!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My doctor began checking when I was 33 weeks, mainly because I was contracting SO much. but my doctor regularly checks the cervix at the weekly appointments starting at 35 weeks. Im glad she does, I would honestly feel strange not knowing at all!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010