Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you file bankrupcy???

I'M so stressed out! My husband worked the same job for 20 years. Two years ago he was let go. He did find a job the next day and has been working since. We had to get use to living with a smaller income. His pay went from $1,200 a week to $800 a week. We have gone through our savings, in order for us to afford to pay our mortgage and ulitilty bills we stopped paying our credit card debt. I feel horrible we never had problems paying our debt before. I got summonsed to go to court I own $20.000 on one bill alone I stopped paying when our savings was gone a year ago. (payment was $500.00 a month) We have a few other bills we still owe on and did pay them until two months ago. This the summer we had to go on medicare and food stamps we can not even afford to purchase groceries anymore. I know all will work out. I just am clueless on what I should do?? HELP


Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I filed bankruptcy in 1999. It is not hard once you get past the emotional upheaval. No one wants to admit defeat but I knew that we had no other way of getting out from under our debt. My husband and I both lost our jobs and had no other option. You choose an attorney out of the phone book. All they really do is charge you a few hundred dollars and file all of your paperwork. You will need to give your attorney the bills on every account that you have. Mortgage, auto loans, credit cards, etc. You may have to pay a reduced amount of what you now owe or the bills may be written off in full. Back when we filed people could keep any credit account that was not behind. We were up to date on our mortgage so we kept the house but the truck payments were behind so we lost the truck. Everyone has to live somehwere and drive a vehicle it is not like you will be thrown out in the street with the clothes on your back.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

  • you need to talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by myboogiewoogie at 2:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

  • Yes, talk to a lawyer in your state. Rules changed for bankruptcy 3 years ago and there is more to it than what it used to be.

    Answer by kscmbz at 2:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

  • DON'T FILE YET...please go online and look up Dave Ramsey. Call in to speak to one of his financial advisors. We took his Financial Peace University in January, and our lives will never be the same. I know your situation seems hopeless...give them a call before you do anything. You won't regret it...

    Answer by ProudTexan71 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

  • $800/week and your getting foodstamps?! What a crock! We get $800 every TWO WEEKS and they wont give us stamps!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

  • talk to a bankrupcy lawyer . Once you get one they will do everything for you .

    Answer by bambigrand at 10:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2008