what foods give infants gas while breastfeeding?

dmcgee33

Asked by dmcgee33 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it really depends on the little one. Broccoli was big for one of my kids and another was pizza.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Depends on the baby. My mom said I used to get gas when she ate spaghetti. I swear my daughter used to get gas when I ate chicken, of all things. The "normal" ones are all the things that could cause gas in you, like beans, broccoli, dairy, etc. But some babies have no issues at all, other babies react to everything. No telling until you try it and see. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• There are no foods that will definitely give your child gas. Each child has their own tolerance just try things out and see how they go.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My DS had bad bad gas when I ate olives
    riceybaby4ever

Answer by riceybaby4ever at 9:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Check out the info at Can a nursing mother eat this food?

There are NO foods that a mother should avoid simply because she is breastfeeding. It is generally recommended that you eat whatever you like, whenever you like, in the amounts that you like and continue to do this unless you notice an obvious reaction in your baby to a particular food.

a food's potential to affect baby really has nothing to do with whether it makes mom gassy

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Have to disagree with people who said NO foods give them gas. My daughter had a really hard time with tomatoes while I breastfed. Anytime I ate anything, like pizza, BBQ sauce, ketchup, she would spit up really bad. If I avoided it, there was no problem. I know this for a fact because I experimented with it several times. My doctor said to have it occasionally, so she would atleast be used to the food and not develop allergies.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010