How can I help my daughter to stop wetting her pants?

My daughter is 3 1/2, she has been working on potty training for almost a year. She seems like she is just too busy to remember to use the potty, but wetting her pants 5 or 6 times a day is just getting old. She goes to child care every day and they have potties availble, and it doesn't seem like the other kids are having a hard time with it.
I would love suggestions to help her work on potty training.

msmarie

Asked by msmarie at 9:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• With my daughter... we used stickers everytime she went to the potty. For awhile she knew how to the use potty but didn't unless I was with her reminding her all the time but by consistantly giving her a sticker everytime she went... she started doing it without being reminded and in some cases without me even knowing... it startled me the first time she came running into the kitchen telling me that she needed a sticker because she went potty all by herself. I think it mostly works on a kid by kid basis though. My daughter loves stickers but I have friends that have used everything from gold stars on a poster board in the bathroom that add up to ice cream at the end of the week, to little dollar store toys. I firmly believe that there is no such thing as too much praise and because of it I have managed to potty train both my daughter and my niece just by letting them pick a sticker and making it a huge deal when they do.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 10:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Three and a half is pretty young to be expected to just go potty on her own. I have always asked my children fairly frequently at that age if they need to go potty. Small children can get very into whatever game or project they are working on and forget about these kinds of things. Would it be possible for someone at the day-care to check in with her every hour and ask her if she needs to go potty, or remind her to go?
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter had frequent accidents until just before she turned 4. I used to put plastic pants on over her panties to help keep her cloths dry when she complained about them we told her if she went potty she would not have to wear them.

martat

Answer by martat at 4:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Make a chart and give her a sticker to put on every time she pees and is dry.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I just used stickers or small dollar tree goodies and then hourly took my children in. This is called mommy trained at first, when they go on your command. After awhile, they realize what to do and can finally hold it longer and you go every 2 hours. 2 hours I have found is about the greatest length a child can be expected to hold it.. Keep trying. It does get easier. I had my daycare kids mommy trained at 9mos. It is alot easier to do when there are other kids running around and watching them. That is why sometimes daycares have better success during the day than we parents do. Also, they are on a strict schedule, where we become busy and lax.. Good Luck...
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 9:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• She should be asked frequently...at least every hour, whether she has to potty or not...sometimes, you should TAKE her to the potty (especially if it's been close to two hours since she last went). Make sure you inform her daycare that you're doing this as well so she has consistency while she's there. I started doing this with my 3 1/2 year old and she hasn't had an "accident" in over a week. She still uses goodnights for bedtime, but she's now in regular big girl underwear all day long :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2010