You have 25 bucks for food only for a week, what do you buy to feed your family?

Favorite " we be poor" meals....

surfcitymom

Asked by surfcitymom at 9:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Gallon of milk couple of frozen cans of juice, potatoes , eggs, bread, some lunch meat , lettuce, some cheap mac n cheese, hamburger meat
    sissy35

Answer by sissy35 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• 2.0 Bread, 2 loaves
    1.5 eggs
    4.0 milk
    1.75 tub of yogurt
    5.00 worth of the cheap cereal in bags

wow, that's already almost $15, that is just crazy!!! there isn't even any meat or fruits or veggies there
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Top Ramen, Ravioli (generic brand...we can get them for 49 cents a can)....bread, lunch meat, mayo, PB and J, canned veggies (again, generic brand....CHEAP here!) bag of potatoes (lasts a while if used correctly, hence being a money saver), bag of flour (so u can make almost anything out of anything you've got in the house)...can you tell we get the "we be poor" food a lot? LOL
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 9:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• pasta, beans, rice, boxed macaroni and cheese are filling. the beans provide protein, can add corn tortillas to the beans for a more complete protein. add some tomato sauce to the pasta or speghetti for a filling meal.
    violetz

Answer by violetz at 9:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• WELL I AM PUERTO RICAN SO I WOULD GET
    -BAG OF RICE
    -4CANS OF PINK BEANS
    -4CANS OF SAUSE
    -CHICKEN
    -AND JUICE
    THATS ABOUT $23.00 IF I GO TO WALMART...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• bulk size qty of rice - grow veggies in a garden for a good stir fry. or go to a local farm which has the chepeast veggies fruits. Or. bog of potatoes and chuck roast - throw a bag of carrots and that would be about $20 and get a loaf of bread - and peanut butter/jelly mix - and huge bags of frozen veggies / ramon noodles but they aren't that healthy but they are very cheap -
    tomato soup and grilled cheeses -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Pasta, it's really inexpensive.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Hmm...that's really hard. I'd buy bread ($1 for cheap bread), eggs ($1), $8 of fresh fruits and veggies), pasta ($1), sauce ($2), a bag of frozen chicken breasts ($7), milk ($2), a bag of potatoes ($2), and generic cheese slices (I've seen them for $1).

I'd just mix it up to where that would stretch into different meals. Honestly, though...I don't think that would be close to enough. I suck at this, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You know...I'm gonna switch in $2 of the fruit and veggies for a bag of beans. I forgot about beans,lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• veggie soup. You can make a lot of it for a little bit of money.

Potatoes. you can make a lot of stuff with potatoes. Potatoe cakes, potatoe soup, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, hash browns, tater tots, french fries, potato salad

buy a turkey for $13.00 and 2 loaves of bread for $1.29 each. you can have a turkey dinner then make turkey salad, turkey sandwiches, turkey stew, turkey pot pie, turkey and gravy on bread, any various things.

I hope these help some. :D
    mrsnikifrank

Answer by mrsnikifrank at 9:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2010