how important is it to continue to breast feed or......take the easy route/ formula - and is it true it really doesn't matter either way....genetics rule.

MiaBlakeslee

Asked by MiaBlakeslee at 10:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's important to breastfeed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I didn't breastfeed my oldest, I do regret it, and she is one of the smartest kids in her class. In fact, she is actually ahead of all the kids in reading, and is on top in math. I think that genetics had a lot to do with it, and I also think that parental involvement has a lot to do with it. I have always felt that if the parents are involved in learning that will be more beneficial than parents who are not involved. As far as importance of breastfeeding, it is very important to me. I'm not sure why, but I have this strong urge to make sure that I breastfeed for as long as I can. And I think that it is easier to breastfeed than bottle feed. I don't have to warm the milk, wash bottles, sterilize anything. I can grab her, sit down and she can eat. I love it.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter wouldn't breast feed. She didn't want to work for it because for some reason I didn't milk for a good 3 weeks after she was born so by then she would take to it. I pumped for her for a few months but stopped after a while....she is really smart for her age. she's 2 and knows her colors and can count to 10 already
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Breastfeeding is extremely important and while it's true that there are certain things that genetics sets you up for, it is also true that breastfeeding protects your child from many of those things such as obesity and diabetes.

I think what's important to remember about BF and FF is that breastfeeding is the biological norm. SO breastfed babies don't have higher IQs, FF babies have lower IQs. Breastfed babies aren't less like to develop allergies, FF babies are more likely to develop allergies.

Breastfeeding is the norm and formula is a medical intervention. There are MANY risks to FF and I would recommend doing some research on it before making a feeding decision.

One example...Up to 15% of powdered formula is contaminated with potentially fatal bacteria that causes deaths every year. These death may be few but why take the risk . You don't have that risk with BF.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• "smart" and "IQ" are two very, very different things. IQ is potential.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• BF is important to me. Bottle feeding is a feeding method, breastfeeding is a relationship.
    This was so important to me that I induced lactation for my adopted baby. Probably one of the hardest and best things I have ever done.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Breast is best. I don't think anyone would argue with that. Whatever breastmilk your baby gets is important and very beneficial. And while there are some things that are mainly based on genetics, there are other things that breastfeeding can definitely help with. Example: someone brings home a virus; your baby has extra protection from your body already fighting off that virus, so it's entirely possible that you could even get sick and your baby won't, or to a lesser degree.

I've done both; my first was formula fed, my second was breastfed. Formula may be easier to begin with in the first couple of weeks, when you're just trying to get the hang of things, but trust me.....in the long run, breastfeeding is MUCH easier. So if you're going to base at least part of your decision on convenience, it's very worth it to stick it out through the initial rough patch. Get help if you need it, it's there. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well, smarts may not make a difference BUT when you breastfeed you are giving your child your immune system and they are less likely to get sick which is very important. I agree with maggiemom about the relationship you get from breastfeeding, there is just nothing that compares and it is 100% worth it.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I formula fed my twins, they were almost 6 weeks early, spent just 2 weeks in the NICU and have been completely healthy children. They are 3 and a half now and have hardly ever been sick. 1 ear infection at 12months was the worst problem. I don't think that breastfeeding could have made them any healthier. I have a friend who BF both kids well past the 1 year mark and they just spent about 3 months of both kids being sick all the time. One cold and fever after another.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• As far as immune system, breast milk is just way way better. Also, if your baby doesn't adjust well to formula, there is nothing fun or easy about a gassy, barfy, or constipated baby.

Intellect is not a feeding issue.

Also, do you really want to spend more time washing bottles? I hate washing grown up dishes! Spend that dish washing time reading to your baby if you have intellect concerns.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010