Different bibles causing confusion?

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, all the different interpretation's of the bible are what's causing so many problems between the different branches of the Christian faith?

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Just maybe? NO.

Definitely.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Not only between the different denominations but also with other religions. I don't understand how one religion can claim to be the one true religion (like Christianity does) when the different branches cannot agree.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No, I actually don't think that's it.

There are issues that have been issues from the beginning, many of which don't have much to do with the interpretation of the texts.

Rather than thinking the differing texts are what causes the different understandings, I think the different understandings in a sense "cause" the differing interpretations/translations of the texts. That's how it started, too - people broke with the Catholic church during the Reformation and started printing the Bible in their own languages. Its the different ways of interpreting the text that lead to the different interpretations being written, rather than the other way around, IMO...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You make a good point bandgeek. It may come down more to the bible being open for interpretation that leads to all the dicension.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Or maybe its the legalistic way of looking at it that does it. ;)

Faith didn't use to be about right "belief", in terms of orthodoxy (especially within Judaism, which teaches that Torah is an ongoing process in which new interpretations and understandings can be constantly revealed, from what I understand...), and maybe the problems we're having come from trying to fit every believer into this cookie cutter mold, when faith is really meant to be about the transcendent reality behind the literal page, something that leads to an ever expanding way of thought, rather than one that leads to closing our minds or understandings.

Isn't that what Jesus tried to do, anyway? Push peoples' understandings, encourage people to think outside the box their faith had drawn, the cookie cutter mold that was the "orthodoxy" of his day? ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Oh, hun, I know. Remember, I'm Pagan. lol. So, to me, everyone is right, in their own way. I was just asking as a way to maybe bring about conversation. lol
    spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• lol, I know, I was just enjoying the conversation. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Nope... Bibles don't cause confusion... Satan does though

1 Corinthians 14:33
    for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

Yes there are times He has allowed it but He does not cause it. It is brought upon the people themselves. Satan does the deception and division.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The different translations? Possibly. The different interpretations of the texts? Most definitely.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• absolutely. Different interpretations and different translations.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 1:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010