what other ways can i help my son sleep?

My son will be 3 on monday and has never slept a full night since he was born. He always wakes up crying and cries for a good few hrs. I never baby my my kids and I know that he just does this to get to sleep on my bed as I tried this theory out and as soon as he got into my bed,the tears went away and he fell fast asleep. I have tried reading before bed,lavender baths before hand,singing etc but nothing is working. I'm expecting my 3rd child and only 8 weeks gone so I am always extremely tired and this restless nights are not helping. I feel like screaming most nights as my husband leaves for work at 2:30am so I have to deal with the kids from 7:30pm when they go to bed till they get up. I am at my witts end and in serious need of advice. X

glasgowmummy

Asked by glasgowmummy at 10:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I hae the same problem and my son is almost 5 ! He has night terrors and all .
    mamahol

Answer by mamahol at 10:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I read my son books and then I would turn off the light, put on a tv show that I like, but is boring to him and I would let him fall asleep in the chair with me. Then I would carry him to bed. Then one day I told him he was getting too heavy for me to carry and he had to go to bed after books. Then we started making deals. Sometimes its a tv show, then books, then bed. Sometimes its just books. We kind of negotiate, so he feels like he has some control. Like I will say, "ok, you can watch 1 episode of Tom & Jerry, then 3 books, then bed." He will ask for more T&J, depending on the time, I may let him watch more. He will say 10bks, and I'll work him down to a reasonable amt. Then we agree on a deal. I will have him repeat the deal back to me and we follow through. If he whines when it's bedtime, I will tell him we can't make deals anymore if he doesn't keep up his end. It works REALLY well.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 10:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well my kids get a dvd every night at bedtime because they don't like the silence of the room. It is now 3;34am here in scotland and my son has been crying since 1:20am on and off asking to come into my bed,he gets louder the more I tell him no. He wakes his sister up because he's yelling for things..a drink..my bed..a toy etc...anything at all as long as he's not asleep :( x
    glasgowmummy

Comment by glasgowmummy (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Let's start with the rest of his routine.... is he napping during the day? he needs to.
    Number two... is he getting enough physical exertion? because he needs to. After nap, take that boy outside and run his little bottom off. No TV after dinner, low lights, BIG snack, cool bath, warm jammies, cooler house.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:07 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my son is a very active child who runs around constantly so the physical exertion isnt an issue...i dont always put him down for a nap because he will be 3 on monday and nap times arent necessary at this stage,however,even if he does have a nap,without fail,after 1am he wakes up and causes utter mayhem in the house :( . a half an hour dvd has always been a bed time routine for my kids as it helps them sleep,they have always been used to tv on in the background at night since they were born as i cant sleep without that or sum calming music on in the background,the timer puts the tv off after an hour and if they are still awake they know its sleep time.

he has an appointment on monday with speech therapist and i am waiting for an appointment from the child development centre where they will do a full development check on him so fingers crossed they will have sum answers for me as to why my little devil never sleeps. x
    glasgowmummy

Comment by glasgowmummy (original poster) at 6:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2010