Co-sleeping mommies...I need advice.

My DS is almost 6 months and goes to bed around 8. He's so mobile now I know the wall of pillows I put around him will not keep him contained much longer. I always use a monitor, but our bed is really high and I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before he falls off. What can I do to prevent this? I want to continue to co-sleep and have considered putting the mattress on the floor, but DH said no. Any other solutions?

JMGouge

Asked by JMGouge at 2:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could put a crib mattress or make a soft pallet on the floor for the 8:00 bedtime, and then put him in bed with you when you're ready for bed.
    Anonymous

• Look for a bed rail. One step Beyond has them.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• the bed rail thing scares me because they can potentially get caught b/w the rail and the mattress and suffocate. I don't know what to tell you. i am in the same boat. I just watch her like a hawk right now, any movement and I am there!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 3:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I found by the time my babies were mobile, they knew where the edge of the bed was. I have a "wall hugger" twin, and a "bed hog" twin, and neither has fallen off the bed unless someone in it wasn't feeling well and things didn't go like usual.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 3:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My daughter is 15 months old and she has only fallen off once. It was my fault. I noticed that she was sleeping close the edge and didn't move her. Other than that, its no big deal. If you have a high bed I would worry more about them trying to get down on their own. Judging heights can be tricky.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Why not have the baby inbetween the 2 of you so you both are blocking the baby...
    Anonymous

• what about a basinet next to your bed- they will eventually need to sleep alone.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• We have bed rails... They have kept both of my kids in bed and they come down when it's time for you to get in...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• You can get a bed rail put on the side..
    I dont have a bed...just the mattress...my old bed was high and now my son is 11 months I worried about this too...I like not having a bed.

Try finding a bed rail or just make one and attach it...or keep his side of the bed next to the wall. Or find a lower bed.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I'd put him in a basinet or crib until you're ready to go to bed, or alter his sleep schedule so that he goes to bed at the same time as you.
    Anonymous