weanning from breastfeeding how to get my son to sleep

So my son is one and i plan to wean him because i am pregnent , He pretty much onlybreastfeeds for naps and through out the night , he also sleeps with me .( i dont mind co sleeping) so how in the world do i get him to sleep without breastfeeding ? i have always just nursed him to sleep on the bed and then snuck out . what do i do? if i try to lay down next to him without breast feeding he just jumps all over the bed.

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 3:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you given tandem nursing a thought? If you stick things out a bit your son may end up weaning himself. My daughter weaned when I was around 11 weeks pregnant because the taste of the milk changed and she didn't like it. You can find out about tandem nursing and nursing while pregnant here
    http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 4:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my dd stoped her bottle feeding at this time - try showing him other things that kids love -
    try giving him a sippie with plain milk or add a table spoon of chocolate syrup just for sweetness.

let him know that there are other things he would prefer much better.

my dd has a juice box by the side of her bed so if she gets thirsty in the middle of the night she can drink that. then go back to bed.

the tandem thing might be neat but i think there is enough change when a new baby comes that this will probably be your biggest problem - the older one thinks that they are loosing mommy to another baby and i think that he will fight to win this battle.

introduce him to dried fruits - they are sweet - every time he asks for your breast offer him something that you know he will want more - eventually he will ask for that other thing and no longer the breast.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I will be in the same boat soon. Not the pregnancy, but the weaning. Mine is 18 months old. Have you tried using a sippy cup and lay down next to him. Put a pillow or blanket between you two as well. Say nigh-night, dim the lights and all. Make sure you stick to your night time routine so he has all the cues. Bath, story, dim lights, lay down, cup, etc.
    Mom2JesserFly

Answer by Mom2JesserFly at 11:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2008