Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Custody question

my sd is in therapy. We have been fighting for custody for a long time. Thrapy was co'd. Now my dh has had a lot of contact with therapist but very limited time with sd and therapist due to bm not allowing him time to take her. It seems everything has come to head. Therapist refuses to work with bm any longer because she feels my sd will not get better while in bms care. We have therapist notes which puts out bm big time pasing my sd against dh. Now the agency that the therapist works through will not alllow her to take sides in court. However, she has basiclly stated sd needs us to help her. With this if we go to court do you think the judge will give dh cutstody so my sd can get back to therapy and get better and stop the pas problem? Or will there be another solution? Also in these sessions bm stated that she wanted her bf to adopt sd and dh out of her life. Any advice.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Answers (6)
  • She can't "take sides" in court but she can still be court ordered to testify.

    Answer by emilex at 10:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • Have you considered getting a child advocate involved? They can take sides with the best interests of the child considered. But you have to hope that the advocate takes your side.

    Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • lifes a dance has a good idea. Perhaps you could ask the judge to appoint a GAL (Guardian-ad-litem) for your SD.

    Answer by emilex at 10:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • The judge will appoint an GAL, it is done in all cases involving children. Also, the therapist can be ordered to testify in court and by presenting her information, she will not be taking sides...she will be doing her job. The agency should already know this. You really should be talking to an attorney to get the most accurate information for your state.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • BM cannot just terminate your DH's parental rights in order for her BF to adopt the child, so don't even worry about that one. It is hard to prove a person an unfit parent unless substance abuse etc is envolved. I agree with above GAL seems the best way to go.

    Answer by salexander at 2:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • I just hope this "judge will give dh cutstody so my sd can get back to therapy" will happen for the child sake. GL


    Answer by musicmom08 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.