The Economy.... Are you empowered?

I know it is difficult for alot of people in the world today (because the U.S. is not the only ones affected). At least 760,000 jobs have already been lost. I know that it is tough but I think of this as a time of empowerment for people to take control over their own destiny's. Where so many people have depended on a job to control it. Unfortunently, people never had a back up plan and they over spent. I think this changes peoples perspectives on their lives and future. So are you empowered to take control of your own life?

tpalmer

Asked by tpalmer at 3:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• For me, it isn't an issue of overspending. It is the issue of inflation without a corresponding cost of living adjustment. Health insurance costs more, ALL my utilities cost more, childcare costs are higher, gas is higher, groceries are higher. Not to mention taxes. My property is worth less, but my property taxes were actually increased this year in spite of that decline. Yes, cuts can be made. However, I have very little left to cut. So, I find myself in a very interesting predicament.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 3:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Oh yea, alot of people are in your position. I have noticed that almost everytime I just went to the grocery store prices had increased. Its crazy. So are you being creative in the mist of all of this?
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 3:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• EVERYTHING seems to be more expensive...we're having to increase what we budget in different categories. We took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University in January, and we have been on a budget ever since. We have our emergency fund in place and are working on our debt snowball right now. We do our budget every two weeks, so I can really tell how much costs have increased. Thankfully, we now have gas consistently at our gas stations and not only is the price below $4.00/gallon for the first time in forever, it's now below $3.00. That'll definitely help.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Also, we are being creative in the midst of this...we cut corners wherever possible. I do all kinds of things to save money...holler if you'd like a list. We haven't used a credit card since January, and have paid cash for all kinds of things that we normally would have put on credit. So for me, I think it's all about havin' a plan and then following it. I make a game now out of how much I can save. In addition, I've worked harder here at home...that way our shovel's bigger so to speak (our getting out of debt shovel).
    ProudTexan71

• I am shopping sales in grocery stores, and plan my meals based on what is on sale. I have always done this, but moreso now. I make sure we have cfl energy efficient lightbulbs in most of my fixtures. I try and wash and run appliances in the early morning or evening hours. Peak utility costs are between 12pm and 6pm in CA, so your gas and electric cost more then. I conserve water, we rarely eat out. We do not drink sodas. We rarely buy juice. We drink water, milk, and crystal light tea mix for a change up. If I didn't work full time, I would grow a garden. I tried to earlier this year, but didn't find the time to keep it up and keep gophers out of it. I am now patching jeans and mending socks....something I would not have done before. My husband and I have switched vehicles because he drives farther and my car is better on gas than his suburban. The little things add up, both in good ways and in bad ways.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 5:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I definitely empowered to take control of my own life! The media is having a feeding frenzy right now reporting that the economy is going into recession. Every day, reporters like Katie Couric love being able to report all the "doom and gloom" stories about the economy, the stock market, the trade deficit, etc.

The news media wants us all to believe that the United States' Economy is on the brink of utter destruction. Why? Because Bad News gets attention...Good News isn't news at all!

Now, since I'm a networker, I obviously believe in taking control of my own destiny. Instead of sitting idly by and getting "downsized" in a corporate job, or seeing my factory job get sent overseas, I have chosen to take control of my destiny by joining the work-at-home revolution...
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 7:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I agree with livewell4me I also feel empowered to take control of my life. Perhaps that is because I too am a networker and business owner. Quite a few years ago I committed to taking responsibility for my life and what a difference it has made. I was listening to a call by Robert Kiyosaki the other day and he mentioned that those who will thrive in this economy are those that take action now and make a commitment to be their best self. He also mentioned that network marketing was one of the best courses of action one could take, provided they do it right now.
    GeorgeeLow

Answer by GeorgeeLow at 9:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2008