My daughter will be 14 weeks tomorrow and....

She has been breastfed and bottle fed since birth... at about 7 weeks she got a little cold and I kinda freaked out and decided to strictly breast feed her for a couple weeks figuring it would be healthier for her. Well after two weeks when I tried to give her a bottle, she wouldn't take it. I've been trying to get her to take it ever since and she won't have anything to do with it... tried a few different nipples and it won't help. I don't think I'll ever be able to leave her side again at this rate. Is it too early to start her on rice cereal? I know everyone says 4 months but that's only two weeks away... does it matter?

AngieMommy61210

Asked by AngieMommy61210 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think it matters my son was on cereal at 2 mnths n did just fine
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• She's refusing the bottle because she knows boobies are the best thing for her! It's just her instincts kicking in. I would really, really encourage you to continue to BF. You can certainly pump and give her expressed milk. As far as getting her to take a bottle, it will just take some time and persistence. Have you tried the Breastflow nipples and bottles? They sell them at Target and my daughter LOVED them - they're almost like real boobie!
    I would hold off on rice cereal.  She does not need it yet - and she'll be weaned before you know it, the first year goes so fast!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Have you tried pumping a bottle? She might not like the taste of the formula. Also, she may take a bottle from someone other than you. If she sees you and smells the "real thing" why take a bottle when you can hold out for a boob?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• mine was on cereal at a week old on doc orders so its not gonna hurt her good luck on getting her back on the bottle try the nuk binkies they have bottles-nipples shaped the same way
    amommyslife03

Answer by amommyslife03 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• 4 months is the bare minimum. 6 months would be best.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't think so 5 months at most
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i gave my daughter rice cereal at 1 month and she was fine.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Cereal doesn't have any effect on her taking a bottle or her nursing schedule but if you want to start her now, go for it. Give a little thinned out cereal after she nurses and if she doesn't still have the tongue thrust reflex she's ready. As for taking bottles I really haven't found a way to get my breastfed daughter to take more than an ounce, so if you find a way, let me know!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 18, 2010