Has anyone ever attended a Preemie graduate picnic or NICU reunion?

We are going to one tomorrow and I am curious about what it is. My daughter was in the NICU for 33 days and we want to go visit with some of the nurses and staff members. My daughter was 10 weeks early and just turned a year old so I'm kind of excited and nervous at the same time!

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 11:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I never went to one, but I always wished the hospital my twins were born in had one. Another hospital in my area has the reunions, but since they closed the NICU my girls were in, they never had a reunion :o( I would love to show them off though to the nurses because of how small they were when they were born, and now they are almost 5 and no one ever believes me that they were born 2 months premature!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We went to one a few years ago. My daughter was in the NICU for 28 days. All kids who every spent time in the NICU were invited, and I think the oldest was around 18. They had some photo opps, games for the kids, snacks, a clown, and tables all around for families to sit and socialize. We saw one little boy we recognized as Tess' incubator neighbor.

There were a few nurses there too. It was fun, but we didn't get another invite this year.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It's ironic that you asked this. My daughter is 14 now and we've never been to a NICU/Preemie reunion of any kind but we were just discussing this a couple of weeks ago. She wanted to go to the hospital she was born in and spent the first month of her life in.
    thedesignergirl

Answer by thedesignergirl at 11:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes. We've gone almost every year - another one is coming up at the end of the month that we are planning to attend as well. Mine was 3 months early (now 10, going on 16 - hee hee) and the reunion is so much fun. The parents I meet there are such incredible human beings, and I always search out the doctors and nurses who fought so hard to give my daughter a fighting chance ... I don't think I'll ever be able to thank them enough but it won't stop me from trying!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:43 AM on Sep. 18, 2010