Bed bug epidemic?

Every time I turn on the tv, I hear about bedbugs. It is not just on the news, it's on Late Night with David Letterman, the View, etc. They are reportedly in hotels, and even public buildings like the Empire State Building. Why are they so bad out of nowhere and has anyone experienced them first hand?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Health

• Yup, we had them recently. Basically, the US erradicated them in the 50's but other countries around the world dont care about having them. They don't transmit diseases, they just suck your blood and reproduce like rabbits, lol. So basically, someone goes over seas for a business trip, stays in a hotel, and brings back friends. They are very hard to get rid of as they lay 1-5 eggs every day and the eggs cannot be killed, only frozen or burnt. Its not a fun thing.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• How awful. Is there anyway that you can look for them before you stay in a room with them? Or is there anything that you do to prevent them from coming into your house?
    jrock75

Answer by jrock75 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Wow! How in the world did you get rid of them? I have hear that it can take up to a thousand dollars and the chemicals can be bad for babies, pets. etc?
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Gross.......... makes me not want to stay in a hotel anytime soon! LOL
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I know I just watched that on the View show. So scary and gross it gives me the heebygeebys! I couldn't imagine having to deal with that or if someone brought them to my house I would be in freak mode! Not sure why there is this epedemic.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010