Is refusal to expose the same as indoctrination?

If a parent refuses to expose their children to beliefs beyond their own - even if they don't teach their beliefs beyond living the example - is that one in the same thing as indoctrinating them?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• what does indoctrinating mean? I really mean that, I have no clue what that means
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes, it is. However, on a personal note... Living where we do, it is almost impossible to expose the children to religion in any healthy light- especially when they are this young. For that reason, religion is simply being omitted until they are old enough to understand the implications.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I believe it is as well. I have seen parents not allow their children to even be friends with children of differing beliefs because they were afraid of their child learning anything else. How sad is that.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I agree with Obby and pnwmom... to exclude any other learning.. even for information's sake, is indoctrination (IMO)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 1:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I disagree... if you do not believe in something why would you teach your children about it? Sure I may EXPLAIN the different religous views but in my home we would not observe their views or ideology..
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• When he is old enough to understand them, he can choose to educate himself and decide what he believes in.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I just call it being unfair and performing a disservice to the kids who should have a fair right to pick and choose what they want to believe in when they are old enough to make that decision.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Absolutely!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Excellent point, Sabrina! Yes, in a sense, it is.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think so, yes. If the children are only exposed to one way, its indoctrination, as they are unaware of the various options...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 18, 2010