Need help with Potty Training a 2 1/2 yr old boy

I don't know what to do about getting him potty trained. In the beginning of the summer it seemed like he was going to start had some episodes of him going but nothing frequent. Then he stopped and a couple weeks ago he started back up. The problem is that he doesn't do it continuously. It's a ritual at night without a problem before bed and sometimes before bed but doesn't want any part any other time. I tried just letting him wear underwear one day and that didn't work. He just peed all over the kitchen. He refuses to tell me he has to go. I have absolutely NO help with my dh on this. I am at my wits end on this. I can't get both diapers and pullups. I was trying pullups during the day because easy to get off and on but money is an issue right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly G.

Asked by Kelly G. at 11:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck, I have all girls. My nephew was very stubborn. he was almost 4 (now 7) when he was finally potty trained. I once said to him, "Why don't you go to the potty, you are really wet." He looked down at himself and said, " I not wet, I pissy." LOL
    Natly2007

Answer by Natly2007 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• WEll first of all... consistency is the key... I know it is hard and frusrtrating but keep at it. I have potty trained three of mine plus helped potty train my little niece. Have you tried a treat. does he love gummies or m&m's. every time he goes give him a little handful of his treat. or if he doesnt even want to try give him treat for trying. or maybe he prefers to potty a certain way. My second son would not potty at first!!! then we discovered he prefered to stand up and potty and to help him aim we put a cheerio or frootloop n potty to {shoot] at. if u r serious about getting him potty trained now.... be consistent. keep him n under wear or if u can afford pullups but ... be consistent.. i know it is more work 4 you but it will be worth it.... also if husband wants to save $. tell him to help u out on this. plus make sure he is ready.... just cause he is 2 doesn't mean he is ready. hope i helped
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• try putting froot loops or cherrios in the potty and have him aim for them and try to make it go under or sink and when he gets older have him aim for the middle like a hoop
    amommyslife03

Answer by amommyslife03 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• ugh, i had the same problem with my son, and he was about 2 1/2 as well. i tried pullups, but that was just expensive and pointless. so i put him in big boy underwear. i put him on the toilet every hour and it somewhat worked.. but he wouldn't always go, had A LOT of accidents, and would never tell me when he had to go. i stopped trying for a while, then started up again (did that probably 3 or 4 times), and i think the thing that worked for me was just making him clean up his accidents and consistantly reminding him that pee pee belongs in the toilet. honestly i thought my son wouldn't be potty trained til he was 5, then one morning he wakes me up and says "mommy, i went pee pee on the toilet" all by himself! it was a miracle!!! and ever since he's been potty trained (besides a couple accidents here or there) he's 3 1/2 now, and has been trained since he was 3. but good luck hun, i know how hard it is!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My son is 26 months and we are potty training. Some days go better than others... We use candy as a reward system because he otherwise doesn't get candy. He gets 2-3 Reeces Pieces if he goes on the potty. I just put him in undies and a shirt and he runs around like that. The first day in undies was the worst... he went through like 6 pair in a couple of hours! But after that he started to get the hang of it, the next day he had only 3 accidents and 3 on the potty. Now he does most on the potty with 1-2 accidents. Our problem is when we go out or when I have to bring him to daycare... he's not ready to be in undies out in public but if I put on a diaper or pullup he goes in it right away. So I am going to try a cloth diaper. I ordered one online and it should be here in a day or two and I think he MIGHT think they are undies and not pee in them like he does a regular diaper.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:21 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Just be consistant, I have 2 boys that i potty trained, & I am also a preschool teacher, & I potty train a few a year!! (boys & girls) I use a 15 minute timer, & we try every 15 min. then I just praise them :-) BUT consistency & a timer is GREAT!! Hope that helps
    Sharon Ann L.

Answer by Sharon Ann L. at 9:55 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My daughter went to my MIL and came home about potty trained one saturday. She said she just get nagging her about going potty. Kept asking all the time...you need to go potty my daughter would say no and she would say well lets go try and eventually she would and after going in the potty a few time she realized she like it.

For the first month she wouldn't go in public. I had to keep pull ups for any store trips or anything.

Keep trying but don't get frustrated and my daughter was 2.5 before she was even interested. I think it happened sometime in july so she was over 2.5. her bday is in december.

Boys are different but i hope this helped a little. my neighbor had a problem with her little boy and told him once he turned 3 she wasn't buying diapers and once the last package was gone he was done. He peed on himself a couple times and then started going to the potty cuz he didn't like the wet feeling.

try the cold pull ups
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• go straight to underwear all the time. yea hes going to pee everywhere at first, but it wont last forever, maybe just a few days, and after that an accident here and there. putting him in undies then diapers then pull ups is just confusing. we tried switching with my son for the first week, and we were getting nowhere so we went straight to undies and it sucked at first but hes trained now. and once you decide to start you need to be committed. going back will only confuse him.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thanks all! I have to admit I'm probably not the most consistent at it. I always ask. I definitely ask when he gets up, before nap and after and bed and he goes every night before bed and sometimes before nap but outside of that nothing. I guess I have to get my mind set that I'm a single mom even though I'm married because my husband isn't helping. Get so frustrated with it all! I do give him treats sometimes. It depends when he pee's. Like if he does it at a new time he'll get one. Like, if he would go during the day for the first time, after waking up for the first time, etc. He usually won't even ask for a treat now. I'll just make a big deal about it and hugs. I tried the naked thing but he just peed 2x in the kitchen (thank god that was easy to clean). Then one day I tried underwear then 15mins of putting those on he pooped. UGH! I HATE this stage. Thanks for re-enforcing that I need to be consistent.
    Kelly G.

Comment by Kelly G. (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2010