Mercury

I have always heard the warnings of Mercury hurting our kids, although it has been disproven for the cause of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Does anyone know the safe amount? (ie: fish, antibiotics, flu shots) And, does anyone ask for "Mercury-free" flu shots?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Actually, it depends on which flu vaccine you get, as some manufactures do still use thimerosal (type of mercury) as a preservative. Other vaccines besides the influenza vaccine that may contain thimerosal are the DTaP (Tripedia), DTaP/Hib (TriHIBit), DT (Sanofi), Hep B (Engerix-B), Hep A/Hep B (Twinrix), Japanese Encephalitis (JE-Vax) and Meningococcal (Menomune 10-dose vial only).

Source is the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

The amounts of thimerosal are considered generally safe for each individual vaccine, however that applies only when a single vaccination is given at a time, not when multiple vaccinations are administered all at once.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The safe amount would be ZERO.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• There isn't mercury in vaccinations anymore, I asked when I got my flu shot if there was mercury in it and the nurse told me that none of them had mercury. Safe levels are probably in the range that they tell a pregnant woman is safe, so I would go by that for a small child.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:58 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• they had both last year. thx!!
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 4:09 AM on Sep. 18, 2010