I know it's early, but am I a Scrooge?

For several years I dread the holidays because of the amount of money we are expected to spend. I don't even think spending money is what Christmas is about and I don't think it's what God wants for us. But when I ask to not be included or to not exchange gifts, I am looked at like a Scrooge. No one can buy for everyone they love! We barely have enough to get by, never mind drop a thousand dollars or more on Christmas spending. I like buying for or kids, but I think adults should stop the exchange. It's stressful and brings more unhappiness than the happiness it's supposed to create. What's your opinion?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• def not a scrooge.....i havnt been able to buy anything but for my kids in the last two years and again this year....i want my kids to have fun and enjoy it they dont need to know how life is they just need to have fun...i dont expect anything from anyone and i would have great time just with family and food and enjoy what we do have....i dread the holidays because i cant have all the good stuff that others take for granted but im thankfull for what i do have
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think you are dead on with this one. With the economy the way it is family should be the first to understand that the gift exchange has been cancelled. How bout exchanging holiday treats for each family. Everyone draws a name as usual and your favorite thing to make is sent there way. I love making toll house chocolate chip cookies, that is my signature treat. Money is tight and thats reality...pass it by the elders and see if they agree
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• we like to do hand made stuff for each other it comes more from the heart and your not spending an arm n a leg
    amommyslife03

Answer by amommyslife03 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• no your not.. I used to love the holidays and now I get sick to my stomech. No money and I lost house do to devorce now live in a 2 bedroom apt. I wish sometimes they woulld just go away..
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Find an old copy of Unplugging the Christmas Machine --you will LOVE it.

I have a 'carved in stone' $1000 budget, which started when we had no alternative and has turned into a matter of principle...much like your's --this isn't supposed to be what Christmas is about. That's gifts, Santa, food, postage, decorations --everything.

I have recently read about a family who starts their Christmas wish lists about now, but do it completely inside out: their wishes are for others, what they're going to do, make or give --and by Christmas morning they're fairly bursting with excitement to see how their plots and plans and efforts will be screamed and cried over.

I have a simple answer: make a budget and stick to it. Do not be pressed to spend more than you can afford by guilt or competition or shame or anything. Pick a number and stand on it. Everyone will adapt, or you can take them off your list
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You are definitely not a Scrooge. I think spending time with loved ones during the holidays is a thousand (million!) times more important and rewarding than getting/giving gifts. Gifts are the very last thing on my mind during the holidays.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:01 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No, you are definitely not a scrooge. I think that it should be optional to be included in exchanges. If people have the money, then fine. If not, then fine too. I don't have the money right now but my family still does exchanges, so this year everyone is getting a mini photo album from me. I was told about the special they are having on www.seehere.com where you can have a mini photo album printed with 24 photos I think it is, regular price $5, but it's on sale right now for $2.49 with FREE shipping and handling. So everyone is getting a nice little mini album of pics of the family and that will be that. The kids in the extended family are getting homemade fleece blankets in patterns they will like, which will end up costing me MAYBE $10 each. I plan to find the fabric on sale! Another great gift idea for when you don't have money is jars of homemade mixes like hot cocoa mix, brownie mix, etc.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:02 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No you are not being a Scrooge...
    this yr I am going to make an announcement that only children should be bought for...
    money is tight for a lot of ppl and I agree, some think that you owe them on Christmas...
    I do make tons of cookies and give them out in baskets/tins etc... but I love to bake and
    the cost isn't that bad...
    I have 6 grandchildren to buy for... 1 of them I have custody(since his birth) so he is our baby and gets a lot
    more... and these are the only children (young 11 and under) in the family, everyone else are adults...
    And to me Christmas is for the children... family/friend gatherings... and eating a lot ...LOL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:23 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I understand how you feel. Now me personally I love to buy gifts, especially for my son and my nephews. But with DH out of work for so long, even if he does get a job soon, I fear there won't be much of a Christmas for anyone in our family, much less our son. A friend of mine, in her family, everyone draws a name, and that's who they get a present for, and their is a limit on how much they are allowed to spend on that person (they still buy gifts for their own immediate family of course--spouse, kids). I have been trying to get my MIL/FIL to agree to this so we're not all have to buy for everybody, and last year they said yes, we'll do that, but I bet it won't happen. But no one is going to be getting gifts outside of my son and my nephews and they are just going to have to deal with it.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• start amking gifts like a basket for families

game night basket for example:
    a family game (could be as cheap as a pack of uno cards)
    box of microwave popcorn
    bag of candy even just snack size ones
    simple trophy for the winner of the game
    any other little things all put together in a bowl for the popcorn with a few plastic cups for the drinks that you can personalize by adding the smith family on the bowl and the names of the family on the cups with sharpies (you can find that at the dollar store)
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 2:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2010