I've never thought it was right

If you tell someone you don't believe in God, people generally think that it's your right to be atheist. Yet, when I tell people I hate Santa and I refuse to lie to my kids about it, people become outraged! I think that first, Christmas is about Christ's birth and that's what I celebrate. Secondly, I don't want to give anyone (real or fictional) the credit for me sacrificing and buying and giving to my kids. And third, I just don't want to lie to my children. If you lie about something as stupid as Santa bringing them toys, what else will they wonder if you'd lied about? Do you teach that there's a Santa at your house?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• We taught the older kids about Santa because we didn't know any better. When our third was a toddler, we went to a church that advised making Santa a game but not to tell him it was real. Think about it--tell your child Santa is real, then later say it isn't; now, tell you child about God and hope he doesn't think it's a lie too. My sister and I never believed in the Easter bunny but we still had fun looking for Easter eggs. People do get very defensive about Santa.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Right now my dd couldnt really care less about where her presents come from, shes only 2. When I grew up, my parents let us believe in santa until we were about 4. Then they told us that "Santa used to exist, but he was just a generous person, he did not fly around the world and give everyone presents on Christmas.That like all humans, Santa died. So now people are trying to be generous like Santa" It was kinda a way to ease us off the idea of Santa, and show us how to be generous and giving.
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes I do, I think it is fun. You have the right to feel the way you want to. I hope that your kids do not ruin it for somebody else. That is what happened when I was in school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I do, but only because I believe it's healthy to be a kid and enjoy those things. My kids know that Christmas is Jesus's birthday, and we make that the core of our Christmas traditions, but I don't see any reason to dash the Santa thing. Not that it matters in my house anyway, because my oldest DD is absolutely terrified of all things Santa. LOL
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yup. I grew up with Santa and never felt betrayed by the idea. It's just a fun aspect of the holiday. I don't care if someone refuses Santa, but I don't really understand it either.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i agree . my kids don't believe in santa. they know why we celebrate christmas. besides we spend our whole life teaching them not to lie to us . mine also never believed in easter bunny or tooth fairy. i have taught them that some children actually do believe in these things so not to tell them otherwise. my kids aren't scarred for life i promise you. and they have a normal childhood full of being kids... we jump on bed b 4 we pile up to read books.. we play together laugh and joke together and have dinner together and sometimes go crazy together. they r still just kids being kids. they love shopping for other people for christmas and spend 2 months b 4 christmas doing xtra chore to earn money to buy gifts for people to celebrate his birth. that's all. they are just good well rounded kids.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My kids (4&6) know there was a St. Nicholas who was generous and that Santa is fiction but we do believe.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes....we do Santa Clause. He may not of died for my sins but I can still believe. :)
    As we started "catching on" my Mom would make silly comments never admitting it but letting us know it was all for fun. Nobody in my family never got upset upon learning the truth because by then we just kind of knew. There was never an abrupt "Oh it's over" We still dont admit to there not being a Santa in our family because that way, we can keep alive the tradition. Now we are all Santa and Santa comes every year with stockings and all. :)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Santa is part of the Season's magick... My dd's both believed and when they found out there was NO harm done and
    they did not think that I lied to them about other things outside they finally realized that if Santa wasn't real neither was the
    tooth-fairy, Easter bunny etc... .... and they too carried on the tradition of make-believe and that IS all it is is make-believe
    in the magick of the season...
    If you raise your children right, they are NOT going to blame you or HATE you for allowing them fun as a child...
    My grandson just found out recently that we are his Santa and tho his list has gotten longer...LOL... there was no tears,
    no hate, no "You lied to me grandma" from him... we explained to him that Santa is part of the magick of the season and
    with that you NEVER stop believing no matter your age....
    I don't believe that ppl should treat you differently bc you don't do the Santa thing, it is non of their business
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well I don't see it as a lie. I'm 36 and I STILL believe in Santa :) Just because he's not a literal fat man in a red suit doesn't make him any less real. But of course what you teach in your house is your business. There's no need for you to have to explain yourself to anyone.
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010