what are some objections of interracial relationships you have heard?

i am doing a presentation on interracial relationships and ant to include some common objections

veebaby

Asked by veebaby at 3:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• Comments about the children being a "half-breed" has always upset me. We are all mixed races if you go back and look at our blood lines.

kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 4:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My stepdaughter is in an interracial marriage, they have three children. My only objection was that, due to the area we lived in, she was making her life harder than it had to be. It's certainly not a catastrophe, but no parent wants their child or grandchildren to have more trouble in life than we all do normally. They have remained in a predominantly minority area and have faced more issues of poverty than they have race.

Anonymous

• Objections I have heard is that there is too much difference in the cultures -- I know most assume black/white when they think interracial. But I have a guy friend that married a lady that was Phillipeno and her family was very traditional. Her father was a strong head of household and there was definitely some tension from misunderstanding their culture. -- Not something I agree with as a barrier but I've heard it before that you need to "come from" the same kind of background and usually interracial relationships have different life experiences, different cultural values, different challenges that the other may not be able to relate to.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• anon...life is never easy. And its those hardships we face that make life worth living and shape who we are. the only way to change the world is by following your heart, not what others see as ok.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 4:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I get sick of people saying that interracial kids have it harder than one-race kids. I've also been condemned by certain people for being in an interracial relationship, they call it "unholy" and "evil". I don't understand why it bothers some people that I've chosen to love a Hispanic guy rather than a white guy. He's so much better than any other guy I've ever been with. If people would just open their minds and hearts, they'd see that I am VERY happy and they should let me be happy.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My grandma always said that people look down upon a couple that has two different races. She said if I ever dated a black man she'd disown me because she wouldn't want to be embarassed. I told her if I fall in love with a black man, or any other color or race, then THAT'S who I will marry.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• alot that i hear is they will be half breeds... and wont fit in with either side of their race... i know many people that are mix raced and there is nothing wrong with them... my DH doesnt like blacks or mexicans.. but i have friends that are both... he doesnt say mean things to their faces and is nice to them but he doesnt enjoy being around them... my dad is very racial too... i see people for who they are not what color there skin is!!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My husbands ex-wife has an interracial baby and she took him to the doctor because of an extreme dark patch he had on his rear. She was concerned because it wasn't always there. Can you believe the nurse had the nerve to tell her that "patches were normal on half black babies." Those were the exact words. Didn't even listen to her that it wasn't always there. Obviously she is not still with that office.

Personally I feel unless you are 100% anything you are a mixed race. I do understand health concerns being questioned (ie. Italians and Jewish couples can have children with birth defects) but nothing else.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 5:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• That the children will have hard times because they will be mixed or "half breed" and be made fun of my SIL was in an interraccial marriage and had two kids and they went through alot of of name calling because of it.kids can be cruel as can adults.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 5:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I dont have any objections. I figure, who am I to say that two people shouldn't be together and have babies...
    I think mostly its an issue with the older generation, and extreme conservatives. Obviously its not everyone, but these seem to be the people that give the "looks."
    Good luck with the presentation :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2008