How do I wean my 1 yr old off the breast?

My daughter is almost 13 months and it is so hard at night because she wants to nurse. And wont sleep until she does.? Any sugestions or tips? I am pregnant with my 2nd. I heard nursing can contract your uterus. That's why I am nervous about still nursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nursing can contract the uterus but it is safe to nurse while you are pregnant. If you feel you must wean your DD, I suggest you do it gradually in order to avoid any engorgement. If she is only nursing at night, and she uses it for a comfort measure you will need to institute a new comfort for her. What is your bedtime ritual? Do you read? Do you sing? Do you give her a bath? Do you snuggle?
    For me, I could drop all the nursings with out too much hassle but the night one was the hardest.
    I am a lactation Counselor so If you have any questions, you can PM me.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Are you under the impression that she'll sleep through the night is she's no longer nursing?

You currently have the simplest, least effortful method of putting her back to sleep quickly and easily in the middle of the night. She is going to keep waking up, because she's hungry, lonely, cold, thirsty or otherwise awake... no matter what she eats or drinks, she's going to keep waking. Because 13mo children do.

Parents who claim their kids sleep 'through the night' are called out by recorded sleep studies. They don't. Sometimes, they wake and stay silent, knowing that no one cares at all that they're awake, needy or even crying, so they stop. Crying that is --they stop crying, not waking. Sometimes they don't stop crying, but their parents have learned to sleep through it. But it is normal for children to wake periodically through the night until they're 4.

Years old.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• you usually do NOT have to wean when you are pregnant. most times, the pregnancy will take care of weaning for you, and it will do it gradually.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Give her a sippy cup instead. It won't be easy but you just have to say no more a not give in.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Is it safe to nurse during pregnancy? Yes, in most cases. At this time no medical study has been done on the safety of breastfeeding during pregnancy so it is impossible to list any definitive contraindications. If you are having a complicated pregnancy, such as lost weight, bleeding, or signs of preterm labor, you should problem-solve your individual situation with your caregiver. Depending on your individual situation and feelings you may decide that continued breastfeeding, reduced breastfeeding, or weaning is for the best.

Breastfeeding Contractions -- Although uterine contractions are experienced during breastfeeding, they are a normal part of pregnancy. Similar contractions often occur during sexual intercourse, which many couples continue throughout pregnancy.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Miscarriage/Preterm Labor Risks
    This is a common worry, but it does not appear to have a strong foundation. A recent review of research on the pregnant uterus reveals that there is actually no theoretical basis for the common concern that breastfeeding can lead to miscarriage or preterm labor in healthy pregnancies. Instead the uterus has many safeguards preventing a strong reaction to the oxytocin that breastfeeding releases.

Interestingly, experts on miscarriage and preterm labor are not among those who see a potential link between breastfeeding and these pregnancy complications. Miscarriage expert Lesley Regan, PhD, MD, quoted in Adventures in Tandem Nursing, saw no reason that breastfeeding should impact pregnancy, even if the mother has a history of miscarriage or is experiencing a threatened miscarriage.

kyriesmommy13

• Mother's health
    There is no evidence that a well nourished mother who nurses during pregnancy is at risk nutritionally. Breastfeeding does not increase a mother's risk for osteoporosis, even when the mother nurses during pregnancy. Breastfeeding reduces the mother's risk of breast cancer.

Nursling's health
    Your child will benefit from breastfeeding into the second year and beyond. The milk is just as safe during pregnancy, but pregnancy can cause milk to dwindle and can also motivate mother and child to wean. Thus if pregnancy does cause a child to receive less milk, the child will receive proportionally fewer of milk's health advantages. Indeed, weaning before two years increases the risk of illness for a child, according to the American Academy of Family Physicians.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I nursed DD until I was about four months. At that point, SHE was done. Pregnancy will take care of the weaning for you. Your milk will at some point change in it's appearance and taste (mine looked like thick yellow syrup by the time DD weaned), and typically dries up at some point in the pregnancy. If you really want to wean her, drop one feeding per week, but she may drop them faster on her own due to your pregnancy.

And there is no risk to you or the baby if you continue to nurse unless you are a very high risk pregnancy. Biggest problem I had was drinking enough water for three- I had to get 80 + ounces a day! I actually felt better when I was nursing during the morning sickness phase- not everyone does, but nursing was the only time I didn't feel sick.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:53 AM on Sep. 18, 2010