Should the government ban smoking all together?

I have heard talk that the government wants to ban it all together but I dought that will happen. Do you?

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 1:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I doubt it too but I WISH!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think we ALL should be free to either nourish or harm our bodies...Govt should not have that much power over ppl....where I live you can't even smoke in a bar or near ANY building...that's enough..I dont smoke..I wish ppl did not..but it's a FREEDOM we have...
    Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 1:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I wish it would, I know so many smokers that wish it would too cause that would give them the push to finally quit without going back.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 1:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No way... One of the things this country flourished from was growing tabacco (when it all first started)...It's been around way too long...
    I don't think the government should have the right to tell me (a grown adult) if I am allowed to smoke or not....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think it should, but it won't--too much money to be made, and the Tobacco Industry has too many powerful lobbyists pulling for them! And as for those who feel it's your right to harm or nourish your body, to a point you're correct, BUT I choose NOT to smoke and that choice is no longer mine when I'm forced to inhale the second-hand smoke from someone who chooses to harm their body. Therefore it DOES harm the bodies of those who choose not to.

If you want to harm your own body--drink alcohol and eat fatty, convenience/prepackaged, and fast foods to your hearts content!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:20 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Nope, it's a money maker!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No. The government is not here to coddle us from cradle to grave. If you don't know the harms of cigarette smoking by the time you leave elementary school, you just haven't been paying attention to anything for those seven years. We should be able to decide for ourselves whether or not we want to waste the money to smoke those wretched things. We don't need to Big Powerful Government to step in to protect us from ourselves.

The more power you give away, the less you have for yourself.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:07 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No. As much as I can't stand tobacco companies and what they put in their product, I don't think it should be banned. However, I do think they should be prevented from putting certain things in the cigarettes. There are cigarettes without nearly as many carcinogens and chemicals, and they should all be required to go without those things.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• How is someone else smoking really affecting you? Seeing as though you can't smoke in public area's, practically everywhere i don't get that...Also that whole "second-hand smoke hysteria"... it takes YEARS of contant inhalance close-by of smoke to affect a non-smoker... the worst parts are 'caught' in the filter of the ciggerate, the smoker is getting them...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 18, 2010