Is the word race bad to use? We are all just people.

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 1:19 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• not bad to use, but it is getting old hearing it all the time

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:32 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The fact is we are of different race, I don't understand why its a big deal when anyone notices it. It would be like people with blue eyes hating people with green eyes, and it being wrong to notice the color of your eyes.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 1:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Why would it be bad to use? I suppose you can use the word ethnicity instead, but then again African American/Black people don't know their ethnicity, so there goes that.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:55 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't think 'race' is a bad word....a word I can't stand is 'minority'... We are all spoused to be equal, but I feel this just seperates races and can lead to excuses for things....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't think the word "race" has a negative connotation to it, we have to call it something! BUT, the OTHER words out there are demeaning/insulting ARE the problem--especially when used on people of the same race--where it loses all meaning/impact, and becomes more indicative of class level, or lack thereof!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No, not the word race itself, but negative words associated with race.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I'm rather fed up wit those who claim they want racism to end then are the ones hollering loudest about it. We are all just people. There is just one human race. There is just one type of DNA -- lots of variety and combinations, but one type. A person with type A blood can donate to another person with type A blood, regardless of ethnicity or skin color. Until enough of us stand up and treat skin color with the same regard as we treat eye color and hair color, race will continue to be a sticking point.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It's not the word, it's how you use it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I agree somewhat. We are all human beings...so-called "race" is more about skin color and culture than any scientific definition. Do we say brown dogs are a different "race" than yellow dogs? The only real difference is culture. Maybe we should use a different word. After all, if you grow up in a certain culture your skin color and hair isn't really going to make any difference.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't think there's a problem with the word, I think there is a problem with those who focus solely on race.... Not everyone who is aware of race does, though. There's a difference between being aware of someone's race and focusing on it alone.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 18, 2010