2 yr old sleeping problems please help.

my 2 yr old son will not stay in bed when i put him down for sleep i have to sit on the foot of his bed in order to get him to stay still and stop fighting sleep. somtimes it takes as much as two and a half hours to get him to lay still and fall asleep. I have a two weeks old baby so i cant be doing this anymore right when i get him to sleep she wakes up crying which wakes him up. so i have to go over it again. then at 2 or 3 am every morning he wakes up for no reason at all and will not go back to sleep tell some one comes and lays with him. I really need help to slove this problem my son is harder to put tosleep and keep asleep then my newborn.

J_L_Fshr

Asked by J_L_Fshr at 4:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds to me like he is not adjusting well to having the new baby around. Was he easy to take care of before the new baby came??? I could be wrong but thats what it sounds like to me. Don't really have any advice other then maybe talking to him about staying in his bed. Hope it gets better for you.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 4:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I agree that it sounds like he is jealous of the new baby. Give it a few months and see if you are still having this problem. When I brought home #2 and #3 the older ones went through this. Don't focus so much on sitting at the foot of his bed till he goes to sleep. Make sure that it is only him and you when you do his bed time routine, no baby allowed. When it is bed time, tell him that it is time to go to bed. After tucking him in, leave the room. If he gets up and comes out of his room then put him back in bed. If he is just laying in his bed then I wouldn't worry about him not falling asleep. I did this with my older ones after each new baby was born and it really did work.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• nope cant say that it is jealously of the new baby this has been happening since i put him in a big boy bed which was months ago and about a month before the baby got here it got alot worse. i have tryed just tkaing him right back to bed but he thinks its a games and wants to play and laugh about it. the more i tell him to get back in bed the funnier he thinks it is.
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 4:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My daughter laughs at me at times, but you have to stay consistent. Make sure that you do a little something each day to let him know he is as important as the baby. The putting him back in bed will work if you stay consistent, he has to sleep at some point, even though the first few days may be rough, he will get the idea,...just be consistent, if you are not he will run the house!!! i hope this helps
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 12:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2008