what is the best age for your child to start kinder, 5 or 6 yrs old?

Because I registered my son this year for kinder and hes 5 yrs old he didnt go to prekinder but I just read today that you can enroll your child till hes 6 yrs old now I regret it, I should of waited till he was 6 so I can cherish him more at home. what do u think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in

• I think it depends on the child. For most kids, it's fine to start them at 5. I understand that desire to want to keep them home, and that it's hard to let your baby take this step, but, try to keep in mind that while having them start too early is hard, so is having them start too late. If he's ready, then let him go, because otherwise, next year when he starts and is 6, he's going to get bored more easily, and is going to be in a different place (socially and developmentally) than his classmates, bigger than they are, etc, which can also be hard on a kid.

Because you aren't just looking at "now", but down the line, too... For example, last yr, my ds was dating a girl that was really bright, started early, skipped a grade, etc. She graduated at just turned 16. She was 'book ready", but not developmentally and "life ready" for it.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I guess when he is mentally ready. My 5 year old goes to kindergarten, but I think I should have waited another year to get her more emotionally and mentally prepared for it. She's had separation anxiety and she has been lashing out at her father since school started. She's very clingy to me. I guess getting her started now was not the best thing and I am hoping she phases through this. Her teacher says she does good in school though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• cont

My kids have also had friends that started later, and then when they were older elementary school age, they were starting to go through puberty ahead of their classmates, etc, and they really had a hard time with "standing out" and "being different" (puberty is already hard enough on kids, let alone when none of their other friends or classmates are going through it with them...) One poor girl that was a friend of my dd was in this situation - and add to it, she was an 'early bloomer" for her age, so she was WAY ahead physically than the rest of the girls, and had a hard time because of it.

Basically, what I'm saying is yes, I do know it's hard, because he's your baby, and you worry. But if he's enjoying it and learning, and ready for school, then you need to let him go, even if there is a part of you that wants to keep him as a "baby" or "little kid" just one more year :-)

gl and hugs to you with this :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:46 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 5 is the recommended age I believe - it is where I live any ways. I work in a High School and see a lot of problems with the kids that start at 6, because they are 18 for their sr. year - they feel as if the should still be in High School and they tend to miss more days because they can excuse themselves. So I'd say 5 is best when looking at it from that perspective.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:02 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• ** shouldn't still be in HS I meant ** Ohps
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:03 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I graduated at 18 and most of my class mates did too, because my b-day is in december which means I went in a year late, we all went through puberty at the sametime and no one knew the difference from us 18 yr olds and the 17 yr olds as seniors, I would still listen to my mom in not skipping class that often even when I was 18. My mom put me in daycares very young so I really didn't get to enjoy my childhood life since I was always in school:(
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 2:14 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We didn't put our DS into kindergarten until he turned 6and are very glad that we didn't. He's a very bright child, but emotionally he's right where he needs to be. Now he's sailing through school and is right on mark with his peers when it comes to social situations. He's a July birthday, so we had the choice to make him the youngest in the class or the oldest, the next child's birthday is only 2 weeks later, so it's not a huge difference.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:26 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• IMO as soon as possible. My DD went to PreK at 3 yrs old. But she had some social issues so repeated PreK twice. She needed the socialization so school was the right thing for her.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Older is better.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My son will start at 5. He will have 3 years total of preschool and he is more than ready already.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

Next question in
School clothes?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Ever read this to your child?!