If our spirit lives on after the body dies, why can't we communicate?

There are many divergent beliefs on an afterlife, if there is one. How can you be sure? And if there is life after the mortal body dies, why don't our families stay with us and communicate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Babies cannot communicate with adults either. Crossing over is another human evolution. Their language is different--it's one we can't speak because we haven't gone there yet. Imagine kneeling down beside an anthill and trying to talk to them in your language. Doesn't work. The language is different on the other side and, like a baby, you have to learn how to hear it and understand. The Spiritual Power group might help you. Or a group like it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• They are in another world, the spirit world. Didn't you ever watch Dark Shadows or the contemporary equivalent? Hear about seances? Ya gotta have specials skills on this side to get in touch with the afterlife spirits. It's probably the same thing on their side. Ya got to have special skills, or be in good with someone who does.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I want special skills
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• The dead are dead. (Ecclesiastes 9:5) God is merciful. He knows that if our loves were in Heaven without us they couldn't enjoy it for all the worrying they'd have over those they left behind. Only God is immortal. Remember the first lie in the Bible? "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:" (Genesis 3:4) Why would Jesus wake Lazarus from the dead if he were enjoying a "better place"? Jesus said, "our friend Lazarus sleeps, I'm on my way to wake him up." Then they said to him "if he sleeps he's fine." Then Jesus said to them plainly " Lazarus is dead".( paraphrased John 11:10-14) Jesus wept. Why would he cry if death meant Lazarus was in a Heaven? Why would He bother to wake him? Why will the dead in Christ rise when He returns if they are already with Him? (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18) Take comfort that the next conscious thought of the "dead in Christ" will be the ressurection unto eternal life.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Love your answer Lexylex. The Bible does say that we are conscience of nothing when we die.
    As for those with "special skills", their powers do not originate with God, but with Satan. Jesus talked about a man who was visited by a "ghost/spirit" and revealed that in fact this was not the man's loved one.
    Anonymous

• Why can't we comunicate? We can. Lots of us do. There are many ways to bridge the gap between worlds. But if you don't have any faith that it can be done... it wont be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Anonymous & Sabrina, do either of you have fact to back up what you've written? Can you actually quote the scripture you reference, or can you identify ways to communicate? I have my opinions, too, but stating opinion when a person asks for fact is not helpful.
    Anonymous

• who says that they don't? i think jesus cried when he died was cause of the pain his famiy felt for their loss that he didn't make it there on time to resurrect or heal him. it's so funny how people read versus so differently. i could explain more of what lexylex wrote but we are limited by 1000 words and couldn't put my version of those scriptures in here. either way i believe as members of my church does that we can speak to the dead but through prayers or even in visions. although those are rare. then our prophet speaks to us of what the lord wants us to learn. we talk through others or when we experience something. when my grandma died i missed seeing her by one day for her to see her new grand child. i was upset. one day though my baby was laughing at nothing in particular but felt she was there looking at my new daughter. although she didn't speak to me i believe she was speaking to my baby and was making her laugh.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my religion believes the spirits live on and we were sent here to get our bodies and then we have a higher purpose after we die. depends on the spirit i guess.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 6:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I'm one of the few that believe Jesus came back when the Temple at Jerusalem was destroyed in AD 70, and when that happened, so did the resurrection. I'm gonna do a journal on this soon and leave it open for discussion. Personally, I have seen the light of Heaven on two different occasions, and I wasn't near death when either happened. Don't forget those who HAVE had near-death experiences. I don't believe a chemical reaction in their brains caused them to hallucinate either. Not sure where I stand on communication, but Jesus spoke with Moses and Elijah at the Mount of Transfiguration. Don't tell me those were demons! Jesus also said that what He does we'll do and more. So, I believe there are instances where communication can take place.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2008