Would it be okay for your husband/SO to hit you?

Then why is it okay for parents to hit their children?

abs0726

Asked by abs0726 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• it's not ok.. we don't hit in our house.. i always found it so annoying to see a parent swat there kids butt for hitting... ummm DUUUUUHHHHH!
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 6:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Beating anyone is wrong. Spanking however is an effective form of discipline for children and adults don't discipline each other.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Spanking is an effective form of discipline for a child. If you don't like it don't do it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If it is so effective then why is is illegal in other countries and generally discouraged among child development experts?
    abs0726

Answer by abs0726 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I don't have to worry about an adult purposely touching a hot stove or running out into traffic. I also don't need to worry about an adult laying on the floor in the middle of a busy store and throwing a tantrum.

It is silly to relate spousal abuse with teaching a child between right and wrong.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Take a look at many of the children today because the law has made it "child abuse" to spank your children. If you looked at how children turned out 40 years as opposed today, how many children are committing crimes today as opposed to 40 years ago. I don't endorse beating, but i do WHOLE HEARTEDLY endorse discipline.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• sometimes I could just spank my hubbie for him leaving dirty socks around! :P
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 5:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• There is a huge difference between HITTING and discipline. I can't remember the last time anyone had to DISCIPLINE me! He or she may not like what I do, but I'm a grown up and lead a pretty decent life. My DD, on the otherhand, needed to learn to listen, obey, avoid, etc. as well as to learn there are hurtful consequences when you don't do what's right, as you're told. I agree with TheDiva320; "spare the rod and spoil the child" is really a Biblical principle, there's a reason God is God, and we're not. I guess he was trying to get us to avoid needless difficulties. Too bad we don't listen; maybe we do need to be knocked around a little if that's what it takes to pay attention to the good stuff.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Never.
    MsCreant

Answer by MsCreant at 6:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Spanking a child and Hitting a grownup out of anger are 2 different things. I know i got spanked when I was younger, and I have an awesome Mom. People are always opposed to this and that, so not everyone is pleased.And child development specialists are not always right.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2008