what can my baby eat??

his 6 months old and i was wondering what foods is okay for me to give him and what not???
im a first time mommy and any answers will help alot

thanx, to all mommies from cafemom!)

beautifulesme

Asked by beautifulesme at 4:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard start them out slowly with rice cereal to see if they are ready. I've been using that for awhile now. After they've been eating good, try out some veggies and fruit, but not as a supplement for milk/ Basically this is the trying things out period. You're not supposed to supplement food for milk until 9 months
    Anonymous

• Usually you will start with rice cereal, and then move on to stage 1 foods. If you are making the food yourself, check out gerber's web site to see which veggies and fruits are stage 1, and there are plenty of recipes out there online. I would start with the veggies to make sure he eats the "blander" foods before you give him the sugary fruits. Sometimes if they have had the fruits first, they will be more resistant to the veggies.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 5:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• just soft things first... but make sure you write down what you have him try... if an allergy pops up you'll need to be able to narrow it down in order to prevent it from happening again.
    the first things i gave my daugther were mashed potatoes, jello, rice cereal, or anything else soft that i might have been munching on.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 6:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Start with fruit - mash banana....then try melons...make sure moving on is slow though..try banana for a week then move on to melons...then move on to mango etc. This is what I did.

Fruit is very easy on digestion and full of nutrients.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Start with cereals and add fruits and veggies. Baby food is ok or you can mash your own. I always found baby food was too runny for my little ones to eat well, I mixed a little cereal in with the jar food and they ate it better. My kids were all on table food by 8 mos. As soon as they can pick something up and put it in their mouths, they can eat cheerios, bananna slices, canned fruit and stuff like that. Don't believe Gerber and give the baby jar food til he's 15 mos!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If you decide not to use baby foods, stay away from strawberry, dairy, eggs for the first year. Stay away from nuts and shellfish until the child is at least 3. .Strawberries that are in Gerber baby food products are okay because they are in much minute form (I stressed when ped. told me no strawberries after I had already been feeding dd strawberry-banana baby food).....and the only "dairy" product allowed might be baby yogurt if desired - but even then wait until nine months. The only reason this is okay is because of the active cultures in it, according to my pediatrician. Those are the only things I can remember food wise. But to be safe, wait two to three days before introducing a new food to allow time for any allergic reactions - not all reactions occur immedately after food is consumed.
    pd4now82

Answer by pd4now82 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my doc told me not to start my boy on cereal until he is 4 to 6 months old so I would probably stick to the different kinds of baby cereal.
    youngmommi2be

Answer by youngmommi2be at 12:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• William has been on rice ceral since 2 months. He is 4 months now and just started on green beans (im doing green veggies first, than orange, than fruit) I want him to like veggies before fruits so he isnt always eating the sweet stuff. Also give 1 new food a week to watch for allergies. He has his veggies once a day, and his cereal before bed. I think thats enough "solid" food to start.
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2008