when do you start feeding babys water

My mom is telling me you feed them water right away and my sister says not to i need to know what do i do? when is the right time to start giving babys water?

rero0701

Asked by rero0701 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when they're a year old. It's prob ok in an ounce or two in a whole day, but their little tummies don't do well with it and it can actually cause seizures
    Anonymous

• When they are on a good diet of solid foods, they can have water. Or when they carry around a sippy cup all day and need something in it because they are thirsty. You will generally only give a baby younger than 6-8 months an ounce or two if it is very hot and you are outside.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 5:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• They do not need water until about 6 months of age, and even then I would only give 2-3 oz a day. Babies who are given water when they are very small fill there tummies with no calories. They will be full of water and not want their breastmilk or formula. Besides, water is IN formula and breastmilk. They are getting the hydration they need. Your mom is well intended. Her information is just dated. She is relying on medical information that is not recent and as well intended as it might be, it can actually be dangerous.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 5:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• there is no need to fill them up on water since there formula or boob juice is mostly water anyways!
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 6:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My son is 11 months...breastfeeds...and when hes been running about a lot I have givne him water - either boiled or distilled water.

I dont see the big deal - I would probably give him some if he was unwell too...especially if he wasnt in the mood for feeding.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-my-baby-drink-water_1368488.bc
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24760916/
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyneedwater.htm
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My old ped. told me that they can have water right away
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My Ped. and hospital advised not to give water for the first year. There is plenty of water in formula, breastmilk and babyfood to keep them hydrated. Since their bodies are so small, their sodium level can rapidly become imbalanced, causing seizures and possible death. I'm sure a small amount of water wouldn't cause such a serious reaction, but why risk it?
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• they can get water when they start eating solids.

Before that they do not did any at all, they get plenty of fluids from their "milk". Once they start solids, give them no more than a total of 4 ounces of water a day. More than 4 ounces can cause water intoxication and death because their bodies can not process it yet. Other idea that I did is.... I put 2 ounces of water in a sippy cup when I started solids and introduced both at the same time. You can put "water intoxication + infants" in a google search to learn more.

hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 11:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i was told when they are drinking out of a sippy cup too
    youngmommi2be

Answer by youngmommi2be at 12:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2008