Any advice for placenta previa?

Im 12 weeks pregnant and have been diagonsed with placenta previa, no sex until my next ultrasound to be sure its moved, ultrasound 2nd week of dec.
What does this mean, what can happen? Has anyone had this and its corrected on its own? Ive had 2 prior pregnancys and never had this before.

momof3tessos

Asked by momof3tessos at 4:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had this with my son. I was sick as a dog, USING BIRTH CONTROL, exhausted, and "having a period". I went to my regular doctor, so suggested a prego test. Sure enough. So he sent me down the hall to the ob/gyn. And off to an ultrasound and sure enough....placenta previa. These doctors were a very relaxed bunch, and had the lowest surgical rate in the area. They really were good for me, as they helped to set my mental/emotional tone. They said to take it easy, that I could do all the same activities that I had been doing, and they would monitor it with ultrasounds. The uterus pulled it up as it grew. I delivered a 10 lb, 23" baby boy!!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Yes, this is quite common, and it commonly resolves on its own. What will determine it resolving on its own are 1) where the placenta has attached to the uterus. If it is attached right over the cervix, then it might not resolve and you must have a c-section. 2) If the placenta simply attached low on the uterus, it is likely that the placenta will move up as the uterus expands and grows. Until your ultrasound, I would simply take it easy and agree with the OB...no sex.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 5:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I had previa with my first pregnancy. Do exactly as your OB says. I was on complete bed rest for 3 1/2 months before my placenta moved up enough to be out of danger. As long as you take it easy, no sex, and follow your docs orders all should be fine. My son was delivered vaginally and was perfectly healthy!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2008