Going crazy here

My DD is 4 months old and breastfeedng. Out of nowhere she will only take one breast and not the other, leaving one engorged. Everytime I try that side, she turns her head, but will latch on and nurse from the other. The one is painful now from being so full. Has anyone ever had this happen, know why, or know what to do?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 4:20 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what if when you try to put your baby on the other side you lay him the same way he is laying with the breast he likes maybe that would help
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 12:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my left nipple is a different shape from the right one, so my DD prefers the right...
    I agree with other moms - pump the other brest to make it easier for your DD to get milk. Also I would suggest to give her that other side, when her brain is sleeping - at night, just insert it in her mouth when she starts looking for brest(after you pump it fol a little bit), if she turns her head, lie on the other side, and still give the same brest, it will be not very comfortable, but might work
    innulik2000

Answer by innulik2000 at 6:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Sometimes if my one breast was too full my DS couldn't latch on easily, so he just wanted to stick to the "easy" one. Try expressing some milk and see if that helps. You can a;so put some milk on the nipple and the little"appetizer" will sometimes intrest them. Good Luck
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 4:39 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• When I was breast feeding the nurses said that I could pump for a couple minutes to get it flowing to help out... There are lactation (sp?) nurses at the hospital you had your child.. maybe you could give them a call or meet up there with them for some help?
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• DD preferred one of the other and I would have to try to get her to latch on the other side, when she wouldn't I would just pump.
    xxjadedhaloxx

Answer by xxjadedhaloxx at 11:20 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oh, also I know it isn't the smell, because it's even when I get out of the shower. I also know it's coming out because it's wet.
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 4:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2010