Father-in-law's dog...

My husband's parents, his brother and his new wife, and his brother's ex-wife and her boyfriend all have indoor lap dogs....I have 4 kids, and have absolutely no use for dogs..inside or out. Every time his parents come over, they bring their damn dog in my house. I have 4 under 5- littliest ones are 19 and 7 months.... They know I can't stand indoor pets and yet bring their dog anyways- to my kids' birthday parties, a casual visit- every time they come over. Everyone else leaves their pets at home. I told my husband that if he didn't tell them the dog is not welcome, I would and I'd be a bitch about it...now they won't even talk to me?! What is with people and their damn dogs?!?! Dogs are not children!!! They're ass-licking pets....I don't really care they won't talk to me I guess, but am I wrong to feel they are being disrespectful of my home and my feelings towards the situation?? (PS- we need an "In-Laws" Catagory.....)

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 4:26 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• It is your house.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i agree they should respect you....it is your home.....and if i were them, i'd be leaving the dog at home for sure....but i do have to admit i don't quite see eye to eye with you at all..it's totally your opinion, your aversion to indoor pets....but i do hope you don't force that opinion on your children....pets can be wonderfully calming, and give children amazing bonds outside the realm of that of humans....you won't understand this because you have no use for them, but for me i can see where an animal can be that friend you've never had if that makes sense..not that you should welcome them into your home especially when your aversion is so strong, nor should they force that on you, but pets to most people really are more than just ass-licking pets, lol....they are family....and should be respected as such...maybe not always welcomed, but no need to be a bitch about them....just a simple friendly request to leave pets behind
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:55 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I see you have never owned a dog or you had a bad experiment with a dog which in any case is understandable but my 2 dogs are a part of my family and they are not just ass licking pets. They are very smart and i will have you know some dogs are smarter or can be smarter then humans, or just as smart.
    Yes it is your home and if you don't want your in-laws to bring the dogs over then no they should leave the dog at home. But i as a dog owner bring my dogs places a lot but if someone like you asked me not to bring my dog around your home then i wouldn't i would respect that. I hope that they start to speak to you and things all can be ironed out between you all.This situation is about respecting your home and your wishes. You also have to remember that your hubby most like been around dogs his whole life, so don't forget that this house you live in is your hubbys also and your childrens to it's not all about you momma.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have had pets in the past and never thought it was OK to take them visiting with me. I hope it all works out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• just be a squeaky wheel. Nag about it until they finally stop doing it just to shut ya up lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I personally love dogs better than some people, why you don't is your own business, having said that, if you weren't a "dog" lover, I would not want my dog around you and would make sure she wasn't. Nor would I go to your home. My dog is a family member and a very much loved one. It is as hard for me to understand you, as I'm sure it is for you to understand dog or animal lovers.........

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Next time just tell them the dog has to stay outside, no dogs are allowed in the house. Make sure DH will back you on this otherwise they will go around you to him. I do own a dog, but he has never been allowed in the house. Period. Nobody else has ever brought their dog to my house when they are visiting either. Your house, your rules.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 2:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• WTF! I read some stupid article someone wrote recently about how dogs should be in restaurants but kids shouldn't. i mean i'm a pet lover and all that but i don't expect other people to love my dog just because i do. how rude. like you - i assume the mother of their grandchildren? - are less important and deserve less respect than their pet? again... WTF
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2010