who thinks ive went overboard?

my son will b 3 on monday and as a special gift i have ordered a fire engine limo to come to the house next saturday and drive me,him and 6 of his cousins around for an hour. My son is fascinated with anything with a syren so thought it would be a fantastic idea. i never have parties for my kids this young as they dont really understand and i always said id leave that until they were 5 but i couldnt resist...the fire engine limo is costing £175 and some people i know have said "thats rediculous paying that for a 3 year old" and then theres people who think im doing it to show off but im not at all doing it for that reason. i know itll make a great memory for my son.

so basically, i would like to know if other mums and dads have did things like this for their young kids just as a way of making great memories and not for show to all the neighbours x

glasgowmummy

Asked by glasgowmummy at 7:01 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, more especially, if it is once in a while, not on every of their birthday, but just to make them feel loved, so that when they asked you for something and you said no, they will not see you as a selfish or non-caring mum, with this they will understand that when you have you give to them.
    ocynachi

Answer by ocynachi at 7:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think it's great I never saw a fire engine limo before, what a great idea

A friend of mine rented an motorized train with several cars.  The driver took the kids around the subdivision several times it was great.  The name of the company was Dan Dan the Choo Choo Man:)  It was fun.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:12 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• yes well this is the 1st time i have did something like this for any of my kids just because he has such a fascination with syrens.my kids no when they ask for something they dont get if we dont have the cash.they are not spoiled kids so therefore dont act like it.i was just wonderin if everyone else agrees with my neighbours haha.x
    glasgowmummy

Comment by glasgowmummy (original poster) at 7:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• aw waw that sounuds great ryansmom001...my son also loves trains lol but i think im set with the fire engine lol...here in glasgow scotland you can get lots of things for the kids..my daughter has asked for a pink princess pamper party where she gets to go a drive in a pink boogie bus with lots of music and a make over lol..she knows she will prob get it because she will be 5 and i did promise a party as such when she turns 5 x
    glasgowmummy

Comment by glasgowmummy (original poster) at 7:18 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would have just brang them to the fire house. Let them see the real things(fire engine) and the real people who put out fires. I thing that would have been better and cheaper.
    But in the long run,, if that is what you want to do for your son, go right ahead.

Answer by louise2 at 7:19 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I love the idea!! My son is only 3 and every year I go all out for Christmas AND his birthday!! I have spent way more then that on my son when he was 1 and 2, so I don't see a problem at all...
    I have never even heard of such of thing... I think it's really neat!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Its great idea, just hope he's old enough to remember it at all. 3 is pretty young as far as remembering things goes. Who cares what the neighbors think? Its not their business.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• as long as it is not stressing your purse strings, then you did not go to far! personally, i think memories are priceless : ) you can't really live your life by how the neighbors feel either.
    have a great time!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:01 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Take lots of pictures, because he most likely won't remember it.

Answer by missanc at 8:02 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Honestly, I think it's great to do fun things with your kids, build memories, etc. But, I think this is probably overboard, because for one thing, he's going to be too young to remember it, and for another, I'm not so sure that it's a good idea for them to be driving around with a siren on... (Look at it this way, if you were driving down the street, running late somewhere, and heard a siren coming, pulled over, etc, just to see that it was a limo full of little kids, how irritated would you be.... And how many people are going to start ignoring sirens and stuff when they hear them, because they're being used on things like this... - Anyway, just something to think about...)

I would probably go with the whole set up a tour of a fire station, have a special fire engine cake made, etc.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2010