How do people not hurt horses while riding?

People are pretty heavy. How do they not hurt the horse's back while riding the horse?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 7:05 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pets

• Look at it like this - how can a person carry a backpack? As long as the person is healthy, not too young, has a properly fitted backpack that isn't overloaded, etc, they should be able to carry it with no problem, right?

Well, because of the way a horse is built, their size, etc, to them, we're just basically like a backpack :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:20 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• a horse can weigh anything rom 1500 to 3000 lbs depending on the breed. Also their vertabrate is not like ours. 80 to 250 lbs in nothing to a horse. Their bones are more dense than ours also. But, If you break a horse in too early when it's a baby, you are risking sway back, which prettyy much ruins it for riding for life because the cartilage is still really soft and not very developed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• IDK. I never thought of that. I used to ride every day, at least 5 horses a day. I would be at the barn at 4 am to ride, then had to shower and get ready for school in the morning. I loved it. I used to show which is why I rode so often and so many horses. Maybe it is because horses were bred as pack animals way back when and have just adapted to carrying people over the course of how ever long they have been on the earth...
    MomX3LJC

Answer by MomX3LJC at 7:09 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• if the horse is healthy then it dosent bother the horse.. though some other methods like whipping or bridling hurt them..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 8:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Horses are meant to carry weight....our weight is literally nothing to them...i like the back pack explanation...if everything fits right, they don't get hurt..
    as for bridaling a horse, that doesn't hurt them either, and whips don't hurt them if you use them correctly...
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• you would think it may, but they are quite heavy and large. IDK
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 11:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010