Christians and Halloween

As a Christian, do you celebrate halloween? What are your feelings on it? Do you think God is forgiving if we just want to dress up, have a little fun, and let the kids score some candy? Does it really cause any harm as long as we don't partake in "evil" things... (rituals, etc...)

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• As a Christian, do you celebrate halloween? no but i wish i did. i stop celebrating 5 yrs ago when i got marry. my dh was brought up with the idea that those who celebrate halloween are devilworships
    What are your feelings on it? it has always been my fav holiday, i do dress up my kids for fall festival an dother activities
    Do you think God is forgiving if we just want to dress up, have a little fun, and let the kids score some candy? to me yes, i dont think God is all piss cuz some people choose to celebrate halloween
    Does it really cause any harm as long as we don't partake in "evil" things... (rituals, etc...)

no i dont think so, but thats what my dh thinks and his family
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We're Christian. We always did Halloween - my kids dressed up, got candy, we put out fall decorations (scarecrows, carved pumpkins, etc). They weren't ever allowed to dress up "scary" or "gross" - our focus was always on the make believe, whimsical, silly angle of the holiday. We don't do the religious angle of it. Just as my friend who is a Pagan (and does have more religious feelings towards the whole thing but also does costumes, candy, etc) celebrates Christmas, a tree, food, and a jolly man delivering gifts, but for us, while we do the tree, gifts, etc, it has a deeper religious meaning for us.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Halloween: people dressing in costumes and getting too much candy. I'm not seeing the evil there and I'm not seeing what God would need to forgive in terms of my celebrating. I don't know anything about any "evil" rituals associated with All Hallows Eve - especially as it's in anticipation of All Saint's Day. Unless, of course, one counts the "evil" done to the size of my hips.

It's the first of the "High Candy Holidays" - I enjoy it very much.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I am a Christian and we at one time questioned Halloween. But after much thinking I have allowed Halloween into my kids festives. I decided by boycotting Halloween because many said it was the "Devil's Holiday" you are actually giving him a holiday, I am not giving him a holiday. I was real careful not to let them be witches etc. but as I had more kids and they grew up more, I realized that even witches and ghost costumes are harmless. My girls are very strong Christians and love the Lord, and even a few have been witches at Halloween. lol I don't think Halloween is what turns our kids into the occult, it is other things.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't think there is anything wrong with the "FUN" part of the holiday.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:44 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• What? What century is this? We're not Puritans! I have never been afraid for my soul because of Halloween.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We celebrate Halloween to an extent. We allow our children to dress up and ge Trick or Treating, but that is the extent of it. I didn't know there was anything more to it.. I don't really think that there is any harm in dressing up and getting candy,so I don't think God would mind that.
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 7:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Would just like to point out that Halloween is actually All Hallows Eve which is the eve of All Saints Day.... Halloween festivities have nothing to do with evil things.... and I don't sit around and cast evil spells all night.... and thanks for letting your children dress up as witches... I have decided that this year I'm gonna have an open house with the theme "Witch Appreciation Day"....because too many people still think we are green faced evil hags who cast demon spells on your children....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't think Halloween was ever about anything evil, so I see no harm in having a little fun with it, nor do I think there is anything for God to be "forgiving" about it :)

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Halloween is only "evil" if you make it so. I don't see ANYTHING wrong with candy and costumes, personally.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:21 AM on Sep. 18, 2010