she is drawing on everything

ok so my 4 yr old daughter loves to draw on paper and everything. we finally got her to stop drawing on the walls but we will catch her drawing on her clothes or her skin. we tell her "only draw on paper this is a no no" and we send her to the corner for a little bit. any suggestions for getting her to stop drawing on herself. or any trick punishments or something

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son did this....on everything. I have an older child too, so I had to make sure my older kid kept any writing utensil out of my little one's reach. I had to make sure my son was sitting in his booster seat at our table and had to supervise him or else he would write on everything. All you can do is just watch them. He is now 5 and grew out of coloring on everything about 9 months ago. Another thing I did was make him help me clean the scribbles off walls and furniture when he made a mess. He realized cleaning the mess wasn't nearly as comfortable as making the mess.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 5:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• well i have been pretty succesfull in this... she askes to draw and i say "where do we draw?" and she responds "on paper" and i say "if you draw on anything else what hapens then" and she will say "i cant color any more and i have to stand in the corner" so i say "ok" and hand her her suplies.
    if i see her start to move to another surface i say "Brie...what do we color on?" and she kind of jumps cause she didnt think i saw her and she says "on paper"
    its been pretty good - she used a pen on my chair and didnt get to use pens for 2 weeks - she gets to use the big kid stuff ONLY of she acts like a big kid -
    btw - color pencils are way easier to clean then crayons which are waxy and stick to paint and fibers in clothing. also they dont work on skin where if you press hard enough crayons will do also.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• LOL Mine are 6 and 7 and sometimes (rare) I do catch them coloring on themselves or each other!! UGH I know, and what's frustrating the most is they KNOW NOT to do that.

I yeah it's about 4-5 that they grow out of it... the best way to help that is "control" and being "consistent" in the punishment when she she draws on herself. Keep up the discipline, and only after drawing time at the table where you can sit and watch her or indirectly watch her. Like have her sit and color at the table while you do dishes or cook dinner. During that time praise her for being a "big" girl and only using the pen/crayon/marker on the paper.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• crayola has special markers or crayons that only write on paper... if you get these and she tries and realizes that it doesn't work then she'll give up and not worry about it anymore.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 6:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• All I can say is thank goodness for those "magic sponges" that Mr. Clean puts out. They do wonders on wall drawings and anywhere else they may put it.

As for skin, well, get washable crayons and markers comes out easier that way. And usually comes out ok on clothing most of the time.

Can always let the punsihment fit the crime, meaning, if she writes on the walls...she gets the sponge and gets to clean it all up. Chances are it's the last time she'll do it. Also, if she draws on her skin, well..guess what...it's bath time and she gets to scrub off the marks. Same for clothing, good time as any to teach her how to do laundry. lol. This method does work. My son is Autistic and hates having to do the work to take off his drawings. Now he uses paper.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 7:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Take away the writing implements! That's what I had to do. Only let her have them supervised, then collect them when she's done! If she balks at not having them at her convenience, let her know that she couldn't be trusted not to ruin her clothes or "tatoo" herself. It might make an impression if she loves to draw.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• two words... WASABLE MARKERS! lol
    fawn321

Answer by fawn321 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2008