Politics and Religion

Is it possible to equally be active in both areas? Do your religous views shape for political views? What happens when your torn between 'how you should be' and 'what you feel'?

For example, I believe in the Christian faith and with that I am spoused to want to help all that need it, don't judge, etc... etc.. but on the conservative views I have I feel people shouldn't expect other people to always take care of them and you should earn your own and your life decisions shouldn't have to fall on me...(Welfare--the abusers, etc..)Am I to just 'turn the cheek' and help those 'less-fort.' or stick to what I feel?

I am just curious as to how others partake with their religion and political views intertwind...

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• As a Christian, I believe it is the church's job to reach out to the needy, widows, and fatherless. We should be doing all that we can to take care of them, help them on their feet and reach them for the Lord. Since most churches do not do this, the Government stepped in and now we all have to suffer for it. The Bible says that if a man does not work, neither should he eat. As much as I do not like welfare, I think it is an OK system for women who are trying to care for their children and for families who need a little extra help to get back on their feet. It should not be life-long and it should only be for a limited time until the person is able to properly care for the needs of the family again. It shouldn't be given to those who are not citizens of this Country because they do not pay taxes. If you don't pay anything into it, you shouldn't get anything out of it.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 1:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I am very conservative in my life, but I do not agree with the government controlling every area of our lives, so I vote for and support rights and freedoms for everyone, not jut those with the same views, beliefs and lifestyle as me. I wouldn't want the government forcing anything on me or taking any of my rights away, so I do not support forcing or taking away rights of others either, even if I don't totally agree with them. America is about freedom and happiness for everyone, with the promise of no state religion, I like my freedoms and want everyone of every background in this country to enjoy them too, so I vote accordingly.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Mine are pretty separate. My religious beliefs stem more from my heart, my politic views stem more from my brain. I definitely try to keep them separate, but occasionally they overlap.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:28 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I very much disagree through my own personal experiences..

And that's all you need to decide what's true - we have the federal government call Juliansmom to tell them what to do based on her expert experience. The stats don't back you up - the majority of aid recipients are elderly and/or disabled, the next largest group is teen mothers receiving aid for their kids - once they are of majority age, they no longer qualify, and in most states are not allowed more than 2 years total benefits from the age of 18 until death. There are only 3 states where it is even possible to collect more than a few years of aid over your life time, the other 47, you can not abuse it, or at least you can't abuse it more than a few years. But once again, why let reality override everyone's favorite target - that mythical woman with the fake nails, Escalade, LV bag and iPhone, with the world's largest food stamp card visible from 100 feet away.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You don't believe in helping someone who was come on to hard times and has a child to feed and help getting a roof over their head? I'm just curious where the idea of love thy neighbor begins and ends.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oh, I just read the bit about welfare, I think it is a great idea, the majority of the people using welfare truly need it. As Christians we are called to help those less fortunate than ourselves, give food to the hungry, clothes to the poor, homes to the homeless, jobs to the jobless. I believe that when welfare is used properly it truly is a means to help the less fortunate to get ahead and back on their feet, there are those who abuse the system, but they aren't the majority.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well G.W. was a very active church goer and included Christian principles in his administration all the time (which I don't agree with, that should have remained on a personal level).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I'm of Christian faith also. My political views were very conservative in my younger years. Now at this time of my life( almost at retirement age) I think I practice what I preach. Love and tolerance as Christ would have us. Its not for me to judge others. So my political views are now more liberal.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• sahmama- i don't believe in helping someone who doesn't want to help themselves...i am talking about the ones who use "i fell on hard times" as an excuse for not trying.. you hear that so many times, but what are they doing to get better.... most cases i have experienced personally... they are doing nothing... just collecting $$, they don't look for jobs, etc... if they really were on it just because of that IMO they should be out looking for a job everyday, doing everything they have to to get off it...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Comment by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Do you want to eradicate welfare, or overhaul it? Do you think there truly are people in need that we SHOULD be helping?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 18, 2010