big boy bed

I am about to move and my almost 3 year old ds will finally be getting his own room. If that transition isnt bad enough, he will also finally be going into a twin size bed. how should i go about this? should i put him in the bed in my room first and then let him sleep in his room when he is used to sleeping in a bed? should i put him in the portacrib in his room so he gets used to sleeping alone first? help!!

krazymami028

Asked by krazymami028 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well i would get a bumper for the bed (one of those net things that keep them from falling off) then i would let him pick out his bed sheets.
    my dd was comfortable with the net because it still seemed like there was a "wall" there - and she was very territorial about her bed when she picked out the spongebob sheets - she would freak if we layed on her bed -
    this is how we got her to sleep in her bed "i am going to lay on your spongebob bed cause its my bed" and she would like giggle and squeel and run to her bed "faster" than we could and would climb up into it (we had to get a step stool from target to help her up into it)
    now there is no net and she is fine - she has fallen out about twice but she was more scared than hurt cause she was asleep and noone wants to wake up like that
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my daughter loved the thought of sleeping in her big girl bed. maybe try letting him pick out the pillows and blanket for it so he feels like he accomplished something... put a nightlite in there and tell him good night. if you make it a big deal then he may become frightened and not like it. so just make it very matter-of-fact and nonchallaunt and he may just crash before you even leave the room! good luck
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 6:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Just stick him in the twin-sized bed. Both my girls were in twin beds before they were two. Make a big deal about how he's a big boy, buy special bedding, and put him in it. If you transition him to a bed he won't be sleeping in, then you'll have to do it all over again when you put him in the twin bed. He'll be fine! And if you're concerned he'll fall out, you can get bed rails to keep him in. Good luck!
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 6:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I would have him start sleeping in his bed the 1st night. It def is a huge transition, but you can help make it easier. The first night you may want to let him fall asleep with you in the bed with him. The 2nd night maybe with you on the floor next to him.... etc until you are actually out of the room all together!!! It's rough, I won't lie! More so on you than him, you have to deal with the issues that most children have when it comes to sleeping in their own room, in their own bed, lol! Been there done that, about to do it again with the little one, lol! Good luck!!!!
    momof4qtz

Answer by momof4qtz at 10:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I would probably start him off right in the twin bed, but I would definitely not start him off in my room. If you need to, you can cuddle with him in his room.
    Lizzysapisces

Answer by Lizzysapisces at 10:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• just start him in the room in the bed. Its a transition, shouldn't be a tramtic experiece. he'll get used to it.
    fawn321

Answer by fawn321 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I would NOT put him into your bed and then transition. One transition is enough. It won't be as traumatic as you think!
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2008