Is your life controlled by your children at all?

to some degree it is for everyone, I guess. Is it heavily controlled?

Autism really seems to have taken over our house.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:23 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• ABSOLUTLY YES! Figured I wouldnt suger coat it any. The kids therapies, need for routine,special issues and the fact that there are 3 of them have definitly turned into the kids rule lol. Not to say that we aren't in control but most everything we do is becasue of or for the kids.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 8:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Autism has a little control in our house, but not too much. It does have some say in room decor in some rooms. He has a mini trampoline in his bedroom and in the play room, as there is a swing in the play room, which I'm not sure I would have thought of getting with a neurotypical child.
    I can't really think of how autism controls our house other than that. I mean, we have our challenges, but besides having to pay a large amount of money in child care, and having to schedule a few extra doctor appointments, I don't think it really controls us.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• LOL, more then I would like... My whole day is based around my son... not saying that's a bad thing, I would just like to do more 'me' stuff... I guess that's just part of being a mommy tho :):)

Wow, I am sure that gets tough on you sometimes...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oh, wow, momma, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you find some good support. ((((hugs))))
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• At one time, it was. My son was ADHD and that seemed to dominate every minute of every day, and my daughter was a preemie so for the first 5-7 years of her life, she was in physical therapy several times a week, she did at-home exercises several hours a day, we had numerous appointments with every type of specialist under the sun, I spent too many hours on the phone dealing with the medical/insurance end of things and what little time was left, I spent doing research. My kids were my full-time job, absolutely.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have a well "normal" child. She has controlled and dominated a good chunk our lives for the last 2 years. My LO functions best on a very strict routine and doesn't do well when we deviate from that. She is doing much better now, so we are finally able to do things that we haven't been able to do for the last few years at the times that were inconvenient.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:06 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My total life is controlled by my kids. LOL Heck my husband even ask the girls 5, & 12 where we are going to eat, when we go out. After school, is running them back and forth. Even weekends, husband will ask them what do they want to do that day!
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well it's absolutely controlled by an infant, sleep, eating, changing diapers, etc. Then in genaral yes your life is pretty much controlled by them. If you want happy healthy kids you have to do that as a good parent. NOT their the boss controlled, but your the overseerer of their life as a parent controlled . I'm sorry your dealing w/a child w/autism, I'm sure that has really become a challenge. But try and remember, GOD never gives us more than we can handle.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• some aspects yes, but not everything. Obviously my DD's needs come first
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You can't take care of the kids if you don't take care of yourself, too, tho :)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010