What are the pros and cons of dogs and cats?

Dogs: can play with em, take em for walks, aren't as fussy usually, not as demanding, loyal, will defend owners

Cats: clean themselves, cat use a litter box, don't need 5am walks or potty breaks, independent, can be left alone usually, if declawed won't destroy the house, milder temperament (low key), quiet

Both are usually good with kids for the most part

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pets

• I have 5 cats and basically they are quite easy to care for. The occasional hairball to clean up, or maybe a once in awhile missed litterbox. They are quiet, and take care of themselves.

I have 3 dogs that are active, and need constant supervision. They are fun and very responsive and do interact way more than the cats do. I enjoy both personalitieis.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• This doesn't really seem like much of a question....but...

Dogs food is more expensive, generally. Also, so are the vet bills. If a dog bites someone, you take a trip to the hospital, and the dog is probably quarentined, and occasionally, euthanized. Puppies destroy furniture, carpets, etc. when they are training, and tend to get nippy at a certain stage. You have to be careful while they're teething, becuase they dont' realize how much danger they pose to children, and soft skin.

Cats do destroy furniture. Occasionally urinate outside the box. They do bite, but their scratch is more dangerous and likely to become infected. Kittens take a lot of effort to train, if they are taken from their mother when they're not ready.

However, it has been shown that people who own these pets have lower blood pressure, and less stress. I have two cats, and a dog, and I love all of them.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Dogs pros(some) loyal, good comapions, playful, can be trained ,good protection,
    cons (some) can be noisy and rowdy, smelly, need to be walked even in the rain and snow, can't go off for long periods of time and leave them

Cats pros (some) independant, playful, don't have to walk them, can leave them even over night if you leave food and water out for them,
    cons (some) independant, will sit in front of you when you are on th ecomputer or the tv just to annoy you, uses a catbox, can't be trained for the most part, smart,

This is all I can think of right now.
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 8:47 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I love my furbabies ( 3 cats now). The biggest pro is that they can be left alone for up to 2 nights and someone only has to check on them once to make sure they haven't run out of food or water. Con--The litter box has to be cleaned a few times a day.

Dogs--They need to be walked a minimum of 2 times a day and they have to be fed on a schedule or they will gorge themselves.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• pros for a cat- kills mice, independant
    cons- stare at you, rub on you, don't listen to commands, pee on everything, sharp claws

pros for dogs- loyal, can play with them, listen to commands, great with kids
    cons- barking at stupid crap
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have a Tom cat called Sarah (blame my 4 yr old) best bits are his so loving,soft and clean. worst bits are he likes to wander luckily I live in a quiet area but I still find myself wandering around late at nite wit a torch and his food calling him also he can get abit jealous of my bf and plonks himself between us on the couch and if I dont give him my full attention he climbs on my head eating my hair. such a weird kitty;
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 4:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Drawback for cats is that they use the litterbox. And you have to clean it out ALL the time. Drawbacks for dogs is sometimes people don'e have the time to spend with them so they get bored and tear things up. You also have to take the time to train them. Oh, and cats shed EVERYWHERE! Some dogs need lots of brushing.

But the great thing about both of them are they are great with kids, they are loyal to their families, and they will love you forever.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i just like dogs better
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:09 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Wait a second...5 am walks? My babies don't need 5 am walks! They are perfectly content with 9 am walks haha. My cat was raised with a Pit Bull...so I am horrible with answering this, he was very dog like...he would mess up your face if you were off color
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2010